+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - Did not meet minimum requirements

Edgeman2020

Apr 2, 2022
United States
Hello,

I recently started looking into immigration avenues, into Canada (from the United States). I took the assessment, on the immigration website, and it told me to apply for Express Entry. I did so and it said that I don't meet the minimum requirements and I'm not entirely sure what happened. It says I can be found ineligible for:
- Not having a valid language test. (Took the CELPIP).
- Language test results that are more than two years old. (Taken at the end of February, 2022).
- A language test score that is too low. (Got a 12, in all categories).
- Not having enough relevant work experience. (I have a corporate job with a lot of different responsibilities, but I settled on NOC 1311 {Skill Level B} as my NOC. 5 Years of experience).
- Not having the required education level. (Have a bachelor's in project management. Got it right before COVID, so I haven't gotten a PM job yet, but wanted to do that in Canada).
- Not having enough funds. (I put CA$100,000, as I would be selling my condo and I will easily have a lot more than this, in equity).

My guess is that I don't have my college education officially assessed, yet. I can't think of anything else here, that would be a problem. Unless if the work experience required is in Skill Level A, but I thought I read B or higher, on the website. I'm planning on getting my college degree assessed, regardless. I'm still deciding on whether or not I'd like to get a Master's in project management. May even go to Canada as a student and do that, as a backup option.

If I get my education formally assessed, would that fix my eligibility issue?
Are there any other issues above, that I should be aware of?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I recently started looking into immigration avenues, into Canada (from the United States). I took the assessment, on the immigration website, and it told me to apply for Express Entry. I did so and it said that I don't meet the minimum requirements and I'm not entirely sure what happened. It says I can be found ineligible for:
- Not having a valid language test. (Took the CELPIP).
- Language test results that are more than two years old. (Taken at the end of February, 2022).
- A language test score that is too low. (Got a 12, in all categories).
- Not having enough relevant work experience. (I have a corporate job with a lot of different responsibilities, but I settled on NOC 1311 {Skill Level B} as my NOC. 5 Years of experience).
- Not having the required education level. (Have a bachelor's in project management. Got it right before COVID, so I haven't gotten a PM job yet, but wanted to do that in Canada).
- Not having enough funds. (I put CA$100,000, as I would be selling my condo and I will easily have a lot more than this, in equity).

My guess is that I don't have my college education officially assessed, yet. I can't think of anything else here, that would be a problem. Unless if the work experience required is in Skill Level A, but I thought I read B or higher, on the website. I'm planning on getting my college degree assessed, regardless. I'm still deciding on whether or not I'd like to get a Master's in project management. May even go to Canada as a student and do that, as a backup option.

If I get my education formally assessed, would that fix my eligibility issue?
Are there any other issues above, that I should be aware of?
An ECA is mandatory to submit a profile. What is your score? There hasn’t been a draw in over a year so want around 480.

Edgeman2020

Apr 2, 2022
United States
An ECA is mandatory to submit a profile. What is your score? There hasn’t been a draw in over a year so want around 480.
Okay, so it is the education assessment that's holding me back. Thank you, for the swift response! I didn't get a score, since I didn't meet the requirements. I'll keep the 480, in mind. I have a lot working in my favor, so I'm hoping I can get above that, but if not, it looks like I can also get a job offer and provincial nomination, after submitting the EE form.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay, so it is the education assessment that's holding me back. Thank you, for the swift response! I didn't get a score, since I didn't meet the requirements. I'll keep the 480, in mind. I have a lot working in my favor, so I'm hoping I can get above that, but if not, it looks like I can also get a job offer and provincial nomination, after submitting the EE form.
You can figure out your score with submitting. Will you get a job offer with that NOC?

Edgeman2020

Apr 2, 2022
United States
You can figure out your score with submitting. Will you get a job offer with that NOC?
Looks like my score, without a job offer, falls just short of the 480. But with the job offer, I push through that barrier. So that would be the thing that makes or breaks me.
I would probably try to get a job offer as a project manager, or at least an entry/jr project manager, since that's what my degree is in and it would be the next step up, in my career. I didn't see any NOC that said project manager, so I just used construction manager, which would be 0711. So it would be a completely different NOC. Is that an issue, or should I look for something that matches what I'm doing now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Looks like my score, without a job offer, falls just short of the 480. But with the job offer, I push through that barrier. So that would be the thing that makes or breaks me.
I would probably try to get a job offer as a project manager, or at least an entry/jr project manager, since that's what my degree is in and it would be the next step up, in my career. I didn't see any NOC that said project manager, so I just used construction manager, which would be 0711. So it would be a completely different NOC. Is that an issue, or should I look for something that matches what I'm doing now?
You need to pick a NOC where at least 60% of the duties match your work experience. Do the NOC 0711 duties match?

It's generally quite difficult to secure a job offer. If you are outside of Canada, the employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA for it to count as a job offer under Express Entry. Having said that, some people get lucky and manage to do it.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Just to add to get a job offer and count the points, the employer needs a LMIA. The LMIA proves that the employer couldn’t hire a Canadian or PR, only you are skilled for the job. So adding the 50 points is not as easy as just a job offer.

Reactions: scylla

Edgeman2020

Apr 2, 2022
United States
Considering I'm currently in the construction industry, yes. The duties should match up pretty closely.

Thanks for the info, about what getting a job offer means. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I should probably try to look at other ways to boost my score, as well. I have been taking French lessons, on Duolingo, but I'm nowhere near fluent enough to be quizzed in it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Considering I'm currently in the construction industry, yes. The duties should match up pretty closely.

Thanks for the info, about what getting a job offer means. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I should probably try to look at other ways to boost my score, as well. I have been taking French lessons, on Duolingo, but I'm nowhere near fluent enough to be quizzed in it.
In your first post, you said NOC 1311. now you are 0711. You need a primary NOC with the one year continuous work experience. To get points for French, you need B2 which is advanced-intermediate.

Edgeman2020

Apr 2, 2022
United States
In your first post, you said NOC 1311. now you are 0711. You need a primary NOC with the one year continuous work experience. To get points for French, you need B2 which is advanced-intermediate.
That's because the 1311 is what I'm doing now. I wasn't sure if it was reasonable to try and get a job offer in a different NOC or not, to match my degree instead of my current work experience. Naturally, my EE application will focus on the 1311, since that's what I'm actually doing.

I'm probably just making this more complicated than it needs to be. I tend to do that.