+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring Work Permit. PR Applied under Spousal Sponsor.

harryminhas

Dec 21, 2021
Hi, I have applied PR under Spousal Sponsorship, mailed all my documents mid NOV 2021. I am living in Canada under post graduate work permit. My wife is a PR. Currently I have received temporary application number for my application. My post graduate work permit is expiring on first week of February 2022 which gives me one and half month to apply for work permit extension if we count the days from now. Now the basic main issue is that I can't extend my PGWP and until I have my AOR number I can't apply for Bridging Work Permit. I am self employed so I can't rely on any employer to sponsor me for a new work permit. One thing that I can do is get a visitors visa but with that I wont be able to work on my self employed job. I also know that after my status is expired I have 90 days to get a new status but after doing my research I can't apply for Bridging work permit if my status is expired. So What are my options?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I have applied PR under Spousal Sponsorship, mailed all my documents mid NOV 2021. I am living in Canada under post graduate work permit. My wife is a PR. Currently I have received temporary application number for my application. My post graduate work permit is expiring on first week of February 2022 which gives me one and half month to apply for work permit extension if we count the days from now. Now the basic main issue is that I can't extend my PGWP and until I have my AOR number I can't apply for Bridging Work Permit. I am self employed so I can't rely on any employer to sponsor me for a new work permit. One thing that I can do is get a visitors visa but with that I wont be able to work on my self employed job. I also know that after my status is expired I have 90 days to get a new status but after doing my research I can't apply for Bridging work permit if my status is expired. So What are my options?
A bridging open work permit does not apply to your situation and is not an option. BOWPs are only available to those who have applied for PR under an economic immigraiton stream like PNP or Express Entry.

If you get AOR before your PGWP expires, then you submit the OWP application before your PGWP expires and you'll have implied status to keept working.

If you do not get AOR before your PGWP expires, then I believe you would need to apply to change your status to visitor before the PGWP expires and then stop working once the PGWP ends. Once you have AOR, you can apply for the OWP and start working again once the OWP is approved.

Reactions: YVR123