+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expiring study permit to spousal sponsorship and OWP

ADO71

Jul 30, 2024
Hi,

my study permit is expiring within the next 2 weeks and I have just applied for PR under sponsorship by a citizen. I've applied for a OWP using form 5710 and received confirmation of the application. The confirmation doesn't state i'm allowed to work. Am I under maintained status? And if I am, do the conditions of my study permit still apply?

I've applied under

You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

kemilembe

May 28, 2019
Hi,

Yes, you technically you have maintained status but aren't allowed to work until the actual work permit comes in. If let's say you originally had a work permit that was expiring, you would have continued working under those conditions until the new one comes in. In this case, you switching from study to work permit ( I would just wait till work permit comes in). Good luck