+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired visa

saxxjaxxda

Aug 17, 2024
Hi,
Just need clarification, Iam a foreign worker in canada with valid workpermit. but my visa is expired since lastyear, I will having a vacation in the phillipines on december do i need to renew my visa. because someone told me that i Just need to apply for ETA ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Just need clarification, Iam a foreign worker in canada with valid workpermit. but my visa is expired since lastyear, I will having a vacation in the phillipines on december do i need to renew my visa. because someone told me that i Just need to apply for ETA ?
Look at the eligibility criteria to see if you qualify for an ETA.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,
If you need a visa to enter into Canada what have changed to make you qualify to apply for eTA instead of a TRV?
You cannot "renew a TRV". If you leave Canada, you will need to apply for a new TRV.

Reactions: forevermore76

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
If you need a visa to enter into Canada what have changed to make you qualify to apply for eTA instead of a TRV?
IRCC policy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/06/eligible-travellers-from-13-more-countries-now-qualify-for-an-electronic-travel-authorization.html

Fairly confident OP qualifies for an eTA. My friend automatically got issued an eTA when she got issued her work permit after her TRV had expired since the policy took effect.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
IRCC policy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/06/eligible-travellers-from-13-more-countries-now-qualify-for-an-electronic-travel-authorization.html

Fairly confident OP qualifies for an eTA. My friend automatically got issued an eTA when she got issued her work permit after her TRV had expired since the policy took effect.
Which means that OP doesn't NEED a Visa any more. More countries are added to the eTA list. That wasn't mentioned on the posts and OP's country of citizenship/passport issued was not mentioned either.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Which means that OP doesn't NEED a Visa any more. More countries are added to the eTA list. That wasn't mentioned on the posts and OP's country of citizenship/passport issued was not mentioned either.
Yeah, I simply made an educated guess from the first post because of the mention of the vacation to the Philippines in December (the timing is a hint), but until OP actually confirms they do hold a Philippine passport, we don’t know for sure. Placing my bets on the most statistically likely answer based on that hint and that they needed a TRV before and was being told they could now get an eTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123