+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR returning to Canada - tax question

mbarlow

Apr 30, 2010
Hello, I've searched the forum but can't find an answer to our situation, understandably as it's a bit complicated. My husband got his PR in Jan 2011 while we were living in Canada. We ended up moving to Singapore in Aug 2011 and have lived there for the past 5.5 years. We are planning to move back to Canada in January 2017. Obviously his PR card has expired as he hasn't met the residency requirements. From what I understand he can meet the residency requirements due to the fact that he accompanied myself (Canadian citizen) overseas and should be able to get a new PR card once we apply for it from Canada. He will need to get a PR Travel Document in the meantime. When looking at the PR travel document form I noticed the section on Income Tax filing and history. My concern is that my husband did not file any income taxes during the time we were away. Is this going to be a problem? Should he have been filing them? I (Canadian citizen) was filing but as a non-resident and I therefore did not have to report worldwide income. Any information at all will be useful or if anyone has been in a similar sort of situation I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
mbarlow said:
Hello, I've searched the forum but can't find an answer to our situation, understandably as it's a bit complicated. My husband got his PR in Jan 2011 while we were living in Canada. We ended up moving to Singapore in Aug 2011 and have lived there for the past 5.5 years. We are planning to move back to Canada in January 2017. Obviously his PR card has expired as he hasn't met the residency requirements. From what I understand he can meet the residency requirements due to the fact that he accompanied myself (Canadian citizen) overseas and should be able to get a new PR card once we apply for it from Canada. He will need to get a PR Travel Document in the meantime. When looking at the PR travel document form I noticed the section on Income Tax filing and history. My concern is that my husband did not file any income taxes during the time we were away. Is this going to be a problem? Should he have been filing them? I (Canadian citizen) was filing but as a non-resident and I therefore did not have to report worldwide income. Any information at all will be useful or if anyone has been in a similar sort of situation I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Your husband was not under any obligation to file income taxes (so long as he had no Canadian income). I would indicate that he was residing overseas on the PRTD application form and you shouldn't have any issues.