+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiration of criminal record check?

melimelomed

Apr 1, 2016
Hello,
We will be sending in an outland immigration application from the US for my husband. He lived for 18 months in Norway and we recently obtained the criminal record check document from Norway (which was produced in late Feb). Due to missing documents, it is unlikely we will be able to submit a complete application until June or July 2016. Is there an expiration date on the criminal record check when it becomes invalid to the eyes of the Canadian Immigration agency? (I believe I've read 3 months somewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find that precision on the Canadian Immigration website...)
Thanks!
Mel

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
melimelomed said:
Hello,
We will be sending in an outland immigration application from the US for my husband. He lived for 18 months in Norway and we recently obtained the criminal record check document from Norway (which was produced in late Feb). Due to missing documents, it is unlikely we will be able to submit a complete application until June or July 2016. Is there an expiration date on the criminal record check when it becomes invalid to the eyes of the Canadian Immigration agency? (I believe I've read 3 months somewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find that precision on the Canadian Immigration website...)
Thanks!
Mel
For the place you no longer live in again, it's good as long as you do not return and live there again and the police cert was issued after that date.

For the place you are currently residing in, it's less than 6 months old police cert before you apply. Now this statement is my own interpretation so others can chime in...so once you submitted the documents, unless there are any issues, you won't be asked to resubmit police cert again because it's 6 months before you apply.

Quoted from CIC website below, under the section on Police Certificates....

----------
For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.
----------