+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exemption from Biometrics for Permanent Residence Application?

wallacelin

Mar 6, 2019
Hello, my name is Wallace and I'm currently applying for PR after I have been invited under the Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class. I am working in Canada under the International Experience Canada - Young Professionals, approved in August 2019 which I had to enrol biometrics for. I am unclear, do I have to travel to a VAC outside of Canada to enrol my biometrics again?

According to the check biometrics tool on cic.gc, I do because my previous biometrics was for a temporary resident document (a work permit) and not for a permanent residence application. However, there is also a notice that permanent residence application in Canada may be exempt.

Which is true? Am I exempt because I am applying for my PR in Canada, or do I have to do it again? What is even considered an application done within Canada, is it paper-based, based on my current address?

If someone can clarify this for me, that'd be great. I am done collecting all the documents and need to pay the fees, but I would like to know if enrolling biometrics will be necessary before going forward.

Thank you!