+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exam day - documents to bring

Montreal2013

Aug 16, 2013
Hello all,

I will be writing my exam end of August after a year and a half waiting. On the invitation letter to the exam, it says I need to bring certain documents. Amongst them, it reads:

"all your original documents that support your citizenship application (ie, birth certificate, etc.)"

Now, the issue is, I do not remember which documents I subbmited for my citizenship application and given that the procedures for citizenship applications changed, I can't find the "old" list of supporting documents that were required to be sent.

Any help?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Montreal2013 said:
Hello all,

I will be writing my exam end of August after a year and a half waiting. On the invitation letter to the exam, it says I need to bring certain documents. Amongst them, it reads:

"all your original documents that support your citizenship application (ie, birth certificate, etc.)"

Now, the issue is, I do not remember which documents I subbmited for my citizenship application and given that the procedures for citizenship applications changed, I can't find the "old" list of supporting documents that were required to be sent.

Any help?
At that time mandatory were immigration documents (landing paper + PR card) and 2 other photo ID's, usually, a driver's license/ID, health card and/or current passport biographic page.

Bring all of that to the test, including expired ID's, if you still have them.

Here's what was required in the past: http://web.archive.org/web/20120215011407/http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

Do you mind sharing timeline, are you 2012 applicant?

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All IDs (passport, PR card, drivers license, health card etc.), COPR, language proof(s), school records etc. Original translation of passport pages if not in English.

Montreal2013 said:
Hello all,

Any help?

Montreal2013

Aug 16, 2013
Thank you for your response. It is very helpful.

I also have another question. I've had the same passport for the past 8 years. On the "Notice to Appear" letter for the exam, it says I should bring "all passports and travel documents in your possession (current and expired)."

Does that mean that if I have my old passports (prior to the one I had for 9 years), I should bring them and get the stamps translated? Or will it be sufficient to bring my latest passport? The reason I ask is because on the website of CIC the information given is "any passport or travel documents relevant to the four years before your application", which conflicts with the letter.

Again, many thanks for your help.

My timeline is below:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 2, 2012.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 2, 2012. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on February 26, 2013.

I got the invitation letter yesterday for the exam at the end of August.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Montreal2013 said:
I also have another question. I've had the same passport for the past 8 years. On the "Notice to Appear" letter for the exam, it says I should bring "all passports and travel documents in your possession (current and expired)."

Does that mean that if I have my old passports (prior to the one I had for 9 years), I should bring them and get the stamps translated? Or will it be sufficient to bring my latest passport? The reason I ask is because on the website of CIC the information given is "any passport or travel documents relevant to the four years before your application", which conflicts with the letter.
If you have the same passport for more than 8 years, in practice it'll suffice. Translate stamps that are not in English/French which may confuse officer, such as complex stamps/visas, consular stamps, etc. But, for instance, city names in standardized EU entry/exit stamps don't need to be translated.

The goal of requirement is for applicants to have all passports covering relevant period and after at an interview.

I would take older passport too though because of a small possibility than an officer may ask to present it as well. The only couple of reasons an officer can ask for such an old passport I can think of are to check for possible long term permanent resident visas/statuses in other countries there (e.g. valid for 10-15 years) or, if you have been living in Canada for a long time already, to generally check your story with older stamps/visas, but there's a very little chance for it to happen in practice. If you have something like this in older passport I'd translate it too.

Otherwise I'd be more lax on translations in passports outside relevant period, for example, I'd translate all obvious consular stamps (such as "canceled", or "issued instead of previous passport", etc.) in a relevant passport, but wouldn't do this for an old one because of greatly diminished value and focus on such information and its absolute accuracy.

Good luck and let us know how it will have gone. :)

qameralam

Jan 23, 2013
i recently have taken test on aug 15th at mississauga. Please take all your passport expired,current, Landing paper, 2 pieces of ID, letter you recieve for test,permanent residence card. Hope this helps.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The officer will tell you at the time of interview.

Montreal2013 said:
Many thanks for all the responses. Is there a way to find out if you will have the oath the same day as the exam?

Montreal2013

Aug 16, 2013
Thanks. So nothing would be indicated on the notice to appear for exam re: oath if it is on the same day? I heard conflicting information with some people saying they were told beforehand it might be on the same day, and some people saying they were never told beforehand

Montreal2013

Aug 16, 2013
It's tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Do the photocopies of supporting documents, passports, IDs etc have to be colored copie?

Cheers

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure 100%. I'd make passport in color (CIC usually asks for color passport copies in other cases), the rest in b&w.

gta-local

Star Member
Aug 10, 2013
Montreal2013 said:
It's tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Do the photocopies of supporting documents, passports, IDs etc have to be colored copie?

Cheers
I think b&w will be fine. If CIC specifically asks for color copies, then do color.

Montreal2013

Aug 16, 2013
Test went well. Was very smooth. Everyone waited in waiting area, then we were told to come in for the test. After test you wait for an agent to see you. They give you your grade and tell you oath will be within 4 months. Cheers

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Montreal2013 said:
Test went well. Was very smooth. Everyone waited in waiting area, then we were told to come in for the test. After test you wait for an agent to see you. They give you your grade and tell you oath will be within 4 months. Cheers
Thank you for reporting. :)

Did you have interview with an agent (talk about work, check passports) too? Keep us posted about oath!