+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ex-Muslim Threatened by Family & Friends

Pastifier

Jul 21, 2023
Hello, everyone. I hope you are all doing well...

As the post title says, I am now in fear for my life due to my apostasy. I've been threatened repeatedly to be killed, belittled, insulted, and demonised. When my mother *suggested the death penalty to "purify" me* (that's right "suggested", like it was a normal thing), I knew for a fact that the people I'm living with are bloody insane, and that I'm not safe. They could report me to the authorities in a fit of religious zealousness, and, well.. That would be it for me.

I've been looking over the internet for what to do, and found out that I'm actually eligible for requesting asylum. What is the process, and what are my chances over at Canada? It's quite undesirable to get refused, only to return here and be offed forever...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, everyone. I hope you are all doing well...

As the post title says, I am now in fear for my life due to my apostasy. I've been threatened repeatedly to be killed, belittled, insulted, and demonised. When my mother *suggested the death penalty to "purify" me* (that's right "suggested", like it was a normal thing), I knew for a fact that the people I'm living with are bloody insane, and that I'm not safe. They could report me to the authorities in a fit of religious zealousness, and, well.. That would be it for me.

I've been looking over the internet for what to do, and found out that I'm actually eligible for requesting asylum. What is the process, and what are my chances over at Canada? It's quite undesirable to get refused, only to return here and be offed forever...
Have you tried relocating to another part of your home country far from family and friends? You have to show that there is nowhere safe for you in your whole home country. Do you a TRV to come to Canada?

Pastifier

Jul 21, 2023
Have you tried relocating to another part of your home country far from family and friends? You have to show that there is nowhere safe for you in your whole home country. Do you a TRV to come to Canada?
I live in the UAE, and I'm originally from Yemen; both countries are Muslim majority countries with people that harass Ex-Muslims, and the "punishment" for conversion from Islam by law is death. The real fear is for the authorities to know about it, and for the people who know, to report me... And trust me, with enough digging, they'll be able to find me, and kill me...

Pastifier

Jul 21, 2023
I don't have a TRV to come to Canada, I also don't want to waste what little money I could possibly gather if my asylum request gets denied, but the other choice is death/oppression for the rest of my life. I really don't know what to do

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't have a TRV to come to Canada, I also don't want to waste what little money I could possibly gather if my asylum request gets denied, but the other choice is death/oppression for the rest of my life. I really don't know what to do
How long since you have lived in Yemen and is your stay in the UAE tied to your father’s job or your own? Without entering Canada there is no way to claim asylum unless you can find a private organization. You would need to find a group of people to sponsor you privately but without friends or family trying to lobby for from Canada for an organization to select your case and/or have friends or family who have the funds to support you for a year which is a requirement for private sponsorship it can be very difficult. It also isn’t a fast process. Have you been declared as a refugee by UNHCR? That would be another requirement for private sponsorship. Being declared as a refugee by UNHCR leads to the option of being resettled but in reality less than 1% of refugees worldwide get resettled while most end up in neighbouring countries. Would suggest looking at organizations worldwide who may focus on trying to help those who have denounced islam and not limit yourself to Canada. They may be able to help you find safety somewhere in the world. You can also try to get a TRV but with a passport from Yemen ( which creates concerns that you will claim asylum and have no intention of just visiting due to the long war and poor current economic conditions) and unless you have good savings, good longterm employment, strong ties to UAE like a spouse or child you would be leaving behind, previous international travel to places like the US, UK, etc. it can be very tough to get a TRV. Certainly worth a try if you think you have some of these things although applying from a third country always creates more difficulty because it is harder to show strong ties to your home country. Best of luck

Pastifier

Jul 21, 2023
How long since you have lived in Yemen and is your stay in the UAE tied to your father’s job or your own? Without entering Canada there is no way to claim asylum unless you can find a private organization. You would need to find a group of people to sponsor you privately but without friends or family trying to lobby for from Canada for an organization to select your case and/or have friends or family who have the funds to support you for a year which is a requirement for private sponsorship it can be very difficult. It also isn’t a fast process. Have you been declared as a refugee by UNHCR? That would be another requirement for private sponsorship. Being declared as a refugee by UNHCR leads to the option of being resettled but in reality less than 1% of refugees worldwide get resettled while most end up in neighbouring countries. Would suggest looking at organizations worldwide who may focus on trying to help those who have denounced islam and not limit yourself to Canada. They may be able to help you find safety somewhere in the world. You can also try to get a TRV but with a passport from Yemen ( which creates concerns that you will claim asylum and have no intention of just visiting due to the long war and poor current economic conditions) and unless you have good savings, good longterm employment, strong ties to UAE like a spouse or child you would be leaving behind, previous international travel to places like the US, UK, etc. it can be very tough to get a TRV. Certainly worth a try if you think you have some of these things although applying from a third country always creates more difficulty because it is harder to show strong ties to your home country. Best of luck
My stay in the UAE is tied to my father's job... I don't have the financial means to do any of those things. I have a family I would be leaving behind (parents and three siblings), but I'm guessing that doesn't count. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it! Have a delightful day <3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My stay in the UAE is tied to my father's job... I don't have the financial means to do any of those things. I have a family I would be leaving behind (parents and three siblings), but I'm guessing that doesn't count. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it! Have a delightful day <3
Unfortunately you don’t have a very strong application so getting a TRV will likely not be an option. Best of luck

Depending on your education and work experience immigration to another country or maybe getting a WP may be options to also research. Not just in Canada.

anp31

Jun 28, 2024
Ottawa
Hello there,

I’m truly sorry to hear about what you’re going through. It sounds incredibly distressing and no one should have to feel unsafe for their beliefs. Please know that you’re not alone in facing these challenges.

In terms of asylum, it can be a complex process but seeking asylum is a right that exists to protect individuals in situations like yours. Canada, like many countries, has specific procedures for asylum seekers. You can start by reaching out to organizations like UNHCR who can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

In the meantime, I want to offer you my support and prayers during this difficult time. If you’d like, I can offer a prayer for your safety and strength. Please take care of yourself and reach out to those who can help you navigate this process safely.

Reactions: hotminaj

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello there,

I’m truly sorry to hear about what you’re going through. It sounds incredibly distressing and no one should have to feel unsafe for their beliefs. Please know that you’re not alone in facing these challenges.

In terms of asylum, it can be a complex process but seeking asylum is a right that exists to protect individuals in situations like yours. Canada, like many countries, has specific procedures for asylum seekers. You can start by reaching out to organizations like UNHCR who can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

In the meantime, I want to offer you my support and prayers during this difficult time. If you’d like, I can offer a prayer for your safety and strength. Please take care of yourself and reach out to those who can help you navigate this process safely.
I got this