+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

every pgwp worker need LMIA starting on 21 feb ?

alfred0

Feb 10, 2015
Toronto
:eek: any 1 has any idea about this article ?

February 9, 2015 —

Employer compliance system and fee

Starting February 21, 2015, employers hiring foreign nationals who are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process will be required to submit information about their business or organization, the Offer of Employment form, and pay a fee to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

As of that date, a foreign national who is exempt from the LMIA process will not be able to get an employer-specific work permit if their employer has not submitted the required information and paid the fee before the work permit application is submitted.

The employer compliance fee has been set at $230 and must be paid online. The fees collected will offset the cost of introducing robust employer compliance activities featuring inspections of thousands of employers.

When an inspection finds that an employer is non-compliant, the employer could face an administrative monetary penalty, a ban from hiring foreign workers and, in serious cases, a criminal investigation and prosecution. The adoption of this system will mean that all employers, whether they are hiring LMIA-exempt foreign nationals or temporary foreign workers through the LMIA process that has determined that there are no Canadians available for the job, will face the same level of scrutiny in their hiring and treatment of foreign workers.

The employer compliance fee does not apply to employers hiring foreign nationals who have open work permits. Open work permits allow the holder to work for any Canadian employer.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Judging from the last paragraph, this does not affect PGWP because it's a open work permit.

This is a problem for ICT / NAFTA though.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
alfred0 said:
Does it apply to employers who hire PGWP holders? Do they need to submit Offer to Employment Form?
Read the last line of the bulletin.

Scaroz

Jan 1, 2015
Notice – Changes to strengthen employer accountability under the International Mobility Program

February 9, 2015 —

Employer compliance system and fee

Starting February 21, 2015, employers hiring foreign nationals who are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process will be required to submit information about their business or organization, the Offer of Employment form, and pay a fee to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

As of that date, a foreign national who is exempt from the LMIA process will not be able to get an employer-specific work permit if their employer has not submitted the required information and paid the fee before the work permit application is submitted.

The employer compliance fee has been set at $230 and must be paid online. The fees collected will offset the cost of introducing robust employer compliance activities featuring inspections of thousands of employers.

When an inspection finds that an employer is non-compliant, the employer could face an administrative monetary penalty, a ban from hiring foreign workers and, in serious cases, a criminal investigation and prosecution. The adoption of this system will mean that all employers, whether they are hiring LMIA-exempt foreign nationals or temporary foreign workers through the LMIA process that has determined that there are no Canadians available for the job, will face the same level of scrutiny in their hiring and treatment of foreign workers.

The employer compliance fee does not apply to employers hiring foreign nationals who have open work permits. Open work permits allow the holder to work for any Canadian employer.

New fee for open work permit applicants

A fee of $100 will be collected, also starting February 21, 2015, from open work permit applicants. This fee will be paid at the same time as the work permit processing fee and can be paid online. The fees collected will offset the cost of new initiatives to improve data collection on the role of open work permit holders in the Canadian labour market, as well as increased promotional activities to encourage open work permit holders to apply for permanent residence.

International Mobility Program streams that feature open work permits rather than employer-specific work permits include the working holiday portion of International Experience Canada, the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, spouses/common-law partners of highly-skilled foreign workers and international students, and certain foreign nationals who are already in Canada waiting for the finalization of their applications for permanent residence.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
@Scaroz

About the last paragraph about OWP, this fee only applies to OWP to be issued after 21 Feb, existing OWP holders won't get charged. Am I right to say that?

Ivan.Galv

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
mf4361 said:
@ Scaroz

About the last paragraph about OWP, this fee only applies to OWP to be issued after 21 Feb, existing OWP holders won't get charged. Am I right to say that?
No, it means that all that text does not apply to open work permits at all.
Whenever OWP is issued, no fees are applied.

CEC2EE

Jan 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2015
AOR Received.
29-04-2015
Med's Done....
15-05-2015
Passport Req..
10-08-2015
:'(Do not scare me anymore.
Just got my CEC file returned. Emotional...

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
Ivan.Galv said:
No, it means that all that text does not apply to open work permits at all.
Whenever OWP is issued, no fees are applied.
Wrong. If you apply for an open work permit, you have to pay additional $100 on top of $155.

raj veena

Nov 19, 2014
Does this means do we have to request current employer to apply for lmia for the current pgwp. .can anyone explain it clearly ..
I am working in company for almost one year with pgwp.so should I have to talk to them to apply for lmia? ?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Phil89 said:
Wrong. If you apply for an open work permit, you have to pay additional $100 on top of $155.
I think what he meant was if you have OWP application after 21 Feb, you will have to pay extra $100. If OWP was issued before 21 Feb, the $100 fee doesn't apply. That's what i thought originally too.

raj veena said:
Does this means do we have to request current employer to apply for lmia for the current pgwp. .can anyone explain it clearly ..
I am working in company for almost one year with pgwp.so should I have to talk to them to apply for lmia? ?
Read last paragraph of the first post