+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA under process for over 2 months now

usmanj86

Jun 11, 2017
Hello,

I am holder of Norwegian passport born in Pakistan, applied eTA for myself, my wife and 2 kids. It was approved for all of them except me. I was asked to provide further documents which were furnished with two days of applying eTA.

Until now I have not received any update on my eTA application as it has been over two months, I have sent online queries as well but no reply from IRCC.

My travel date is 16 July and unfortunately I had bought non refundable tickets. My wife and kids plan to go ahead with the plan whereas I have just found out that eTA is not required if entering Canada by road or boat.

I applied eTA for USA and got it within an hour yesterday. My question is that if I travel to US and wish to enter Canada through land border, Will I face any issue due to my existing eTA application and shall I withdraw my eTA application or try to apply eTA again ?

Any help with information in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am holder of Norwegian passport born in Pakistan, applied eTA for myself, my wife and 2 kids. It was approved for all of them except me. I was asked to provide further documents which were furnished with two days of applying eTA.

Until now I have not received any update on my eTA application as it has been over two months, I have sent online queries as well but no reply from IRCC.

My travel date is 16 July and unfortunately I had bought non refundable tickets. My wife and kids plan to go ahead with the plan whereas I have just found out that eTA is not required if entering Canada by road or boat.

I applied eTA for USA and got it within an hour yesterday. My question is that if I travel to US and wish to enter Canada through land border, Will I face any issue due to my existing eTA application and shall I withdraw my eTA application or try to apply eTA again ?

Any help with information in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Where does is say you don’t need a visa to enter Canada through a US land border? You still need a visa or Eta to enter.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s3

Reactions: mahsakh

usmanj86

Jun 11, 2017
Where does is say you don’t need a visa to enter Canada through a US land border? You still need a visa or Eta to enter.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s3
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

At the above link, when I select the required information. It gives me below message.

"Answer: You need a valid passport or travel document to travel to Canada by car, train, bus or boat
If you decide to fly to a Canadian airport instead, you'll need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)."

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

At the above link, when I select the required information. It gives me below message.

"Answer: You need a valid passport or travel document to travel to Canada by car, train, bus or boat
If you decide to fly to a Canadian airport instead, you'll need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)."
So you can try and if denied visit the US. Since ETA is not approved, CBSA will have access to your application and have further information on the hold up. They don’t need to disclose that information though. Now you just have to arrange travel to the US, rent a car that you are allowed to take over the border (unless someone is driving you) and enter a land border. Fly into a city close to a land border.

In the meantime, try and withdraw current ETA application. If withdrawn quickly then reapply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How did you get the Norwegian passport? Assume there is a decent chance that it may have been via asylum. The reasons behind the asylum may potentially be the issue. If trying to enter via land border would travel with proof of employment, proof of ties to Norway like property ownership/rental agreement, proof of return ticket, itinerary, proof of funds, etc. just in case you are questioned. Can have copies on your phone but better to be overly prepared in this scenario although you may not have any issues.

usmanj86

Jun 11, 2017
How did you get the Norwegian passport? Assume there is a decent chance that it may have been via asylum. The reasons behind the asylum may potentially be the issue. If trying to enter via land border would travel with proof of employment, proof of ties to Norway like property ownership/rental agreement, proof of return ticket, itinerary, proof of funds, etc. just in case you are questioned. Can have copies on your phone but better to be overly prepared in this scenario although you may not have any issues.
I completed my studies and got post work visa and around 7 years later got my Norwegian citizenship. Working now as a climate advisor and I have furnished all the documents with my application as my eTA went in to further information required status.

Thanks for sharing the idea of having property ownership on the phone. My sister is a Canadian citizen so I am hoping for a smooth passage through rainbow bridge.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I completed my studies and got post work visa and around 7 years later got my Norwegian citizenship. Working now as a climate advisor and I have furnished all the documents with my application as my eTA went in to further information required status.

Thanks for sharing the idea of having property ownership on the phone. My sister is a Canadian citizen so I am hoping for a smooth passage through rainbow bridge.
Proof of employment also a very good idea to have on your phone.