+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eta before us visa refused

alexoz

Oct 10, 2024
hi, australian passport here. i got an eta from canada in september and then applied for a us B1/B2 visa at us consulate (because i had traveled to iran, i am not eligible for us esta). my us visa application was refused. can i still travel to canada on the existing eta which i got about a month before us visa refusal?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
hi, australian passport here. i got an eta from canada in september and then applied for a us B1/B2 visa at us consulate (because i had traveled to iran, i am not eligible for us esta). my us visa application was refused. can i still travel to canada on the existing eta which i got about a month before us visa refusal?
Yes

alexoz

Oct 10, 2024
i mean, is there a chance that they can refuse me entry to canada at the canadian border, at the airport when i arrive? would they ask for an onward ticket or something else? did this happen to anybody else? thanks...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i mean, is there a chance that they can refuse me entry to canada at the canadian border, at the airport when i arrive? would they ask for an onward ticket or something else? did this happen to anybody else? thanks...
There's always some chance entry to Canada could be refused. A valid TRV does not guarantee entry into Canada. However the US refusal should not impact your entry into Canada. You do need to make sure you are travelling on a return ticket if visiting and not just a one way.

alexoz

Oct 10, 2024
hi scylla. thanks for your input. i should mention that it is not a TRV, but an eta that i received online immediately. does that make a difference?
i just can't bear the thought of being stopped at the border and denied entry. i never had a visa refused before and i have traveled all around the world.
thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi scylla. thanks for your input. i should mention that it is not a TRV, but an eta that i received online immediately. does that make a difference?
i just can't bear the thought of being stopped at the border and denied entry. i never had a visa refused before and i have traveled all around the world.
thanks again.
Doesn't matters. As a visitor, you should be holding a return ticket.

Visitors are not guaranteed entry into Canada (this is true of all countries, not just Canada). If you are allowed into Canada and for how long is a decision made by CBSA on arrival. You shouldn't have any issues at all entering provided you have a return ticket, your stay is of a reasonable length, and you have funds to support your stay. It obviously also can't look like you're coming here to work illegally or to try to live here. I think you're overthinking this. If you're coming for a short visit as a tourist, I don't see why you would have any issues at all.

jrmba1

Sep 25, 2024
I'm 90% sure CBSA will pull you to secondary just because you have traveled to Iran. The immigration data is shared significantly so they will know what and why of the refusal. I would recommend applying for a visa to Canada from overseas and only travel once approved. There's a possibility you might be denied entry.

alexoz

Oct 10, 2024
Doesn't matters. As a visitor, you should be holding a return ticket.

Visitors are not guaranteed entry into Canada (this is true of all countries, not just Canada). If you are allowed into Canada and for how long is a decision made by CBSA on arrival. You shouldn't have any issues at all entering provided you have a return ticket, your stay is of a reasonable length, and you have funds to support your stay. It obviously also can't look like you're coming here to work illegally or to try to live here. I think you're overthinking this. If you're coming for a short visit as a tourist, I don't see why you would have any issues at all.
hi scylla, thanks again. i'm just planning to come for a short visit, 5-7 days, and will stay at a friend's place in vancouver. i have more than enough funds. one question: i am planning to go to mexico after canada and i will have an onward ticket to mexico, if the worst happens and if they deny entry, would they let me go to mexico or would they send me back to the city i came from, which is istanbul?
thanks for your feedback.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi scylla, thanks again. i'm just planning to come for a short visit, 5-7 days, and will stay at a friend's place in vancouver. i have more than enough funds. one question: i am planning to go to mexico after canada and i will have an onward ticket to mexico, if the worst happens and if they deny entry, would they let me go to mexico or would they send me back to the city i came from, which is istanbul?
Istanbul. When denied entry you are returned by the same airline to your destination which is one of the reasons some airlines require return ticket purchase. If you have no status in that country you may be returned to your home country. If you are not returning home after visiting Canada proof of onward travel for eg. flight & accommodations should be ok. Really depends on your citizenship, the airline, etc. If you are a genuine visitor with sufficient funds who is able to travel on an ETA you likely have a relatively low risk profile so wouldn’t worry too much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Istanbul