+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA Approved even though PR card holder

mike2011ca

Apr 1, 2024
I live abroad and my wife has an expired PR card. She wanted to renounce PR on our next trip to Canada, so we booked our flight. I applied for her ETA expecting to get an email that it was rejected and the next steps to renounce PR. BUT the ETA WAS APPROVED?! So.. does this mean she is clear to go to Canada on her Japanese passport with the ETA attached, even though she has PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I live abroad and my wife has an expired PR card. She wanted to renounce PR on our next trip to Canada, so we booked our flight. I applied for her ETA expecting to get an email that it was rejected and the next steps to renounce PR. BUT the ETA WAS APPROVED?! So.. does this mean she is clear to go to Canada on her Japanese passport with the ETA attached, even though she has PR?
At first glance, I have to wonder if this was either:

A mistake on the part of IRCC, since a PR would only need a PRTD to return to Canada if their PR card had expired.

or

If her PR status has been revoked for some reason?

Either way, it might be best to contact IRCC to find out.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1050&top=16
I am a permanent resident of Canada. Do I need an eTA if I leave and want to return to Canada by air?

No, you do not need an eTA if you are a permanent resident of Canada.
However, you must travel with a valid Permanent Resident Card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document. Otherwise, you may face delays or be prevented from boarding your flight to Canada.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why didn’t you just do this ?

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp#

mike2011ca

Apr 1, 2024

A mistake on the part of IRCC, since a PR would only need a PRTD to return to Canada if their PR card had expired.

or

I am a permanent resident of Canada. Do I need an eTA if I leave and want to return to Canada by air?

However, you must travel with a valid Permanent Resident Card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document. Otherwise, you may face delays or be prevented from boarding your flight to Canada.
Renouncing PR takes too long.... we are traveling to Canada in August ...

mike2011ca

Apr 1, 2024

or

I found out through the embassy that since my wife 1) got married and changed her last name 2) renewed her passport, now has a new unique identifier number. For the Canadian authorities she is two people, so I'm working on merging the two. I wonder if it can be done by the time we travel to Canada in August :-(