+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA application withdrawn

Jun 24, 2024
My repeat eTA application was "withdrawn" multiple times with no detail, until I figured it out. TL/DR: I abandoned my Green Card, but the Canadian system thought I still had one. Once I added an explanatory note (and didn't include the old eTA number in the new application), I got the eTA.

Context: I was a permanent resident in the USA until 2014. In 2017 I still had my Green Card, and I included this detail in my first eTA. In 2020 I abandoned it, as I got citizenship in the UK. I applied for a new eTA in 2023 with my British passport, and included the details of the first eTA on the form. My application was "withdrawn" with no explanation. The painfully unhelpful wording of the email:
This message confirms that your application for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) has been withdrawn.
Your application is now closed.
If you want to reapply, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.
You are not considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada by air. If you do decide to travel to Canada, you may experience delays or be prevented from boarding your flight and/or entering Canada.

Only after I submitted an application with the first passport I used, I got a more detailed withdrawal email, explaining that I don't need an eTA because I am a US Permanent Resident. I then re-applied with my UK passport, didn't include the old eTA in the form, and explained the situation in the note. After 10 days, my application was approved.