+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA application questions-Help please

LoveAndWar

Mar 14, 2016
Hi everyone,

As most know starting from tomorrow the Eta will be a neccessary travel document to enter Canada, I'm Belgian so I will need to apply for one too.

While reading through the application form I got confused by a few questions and I hope someone can help me, so that I'll have no trouble receiving my ETA,

1) Given names I assume it includes that I fill in my middle names(All the names listed behind my first name?) Mine for example says my name given by my parents(Shani), then my godmothers name and then ends with only the first initial of my godfathers name on my passport. Do I just enter all of those as exactly shown on my passport? My godmothers name and the initial of my godfather would usually be what I enter as my middle names when I booked a ticket before etc. My family name is easy but I don't want to mess up the given names.

2) When I need to enter my signature at the very end before to proceed to the payment page, do I enter all those names too, my name and middle names and then my last name? Or just my first given name(Which would be Shani) and last name? It's a bit confusing as a signature to me I would have understood entering my last name only, we sign with our family names in Belgium. The whole whether I should include all my middle names or not gets me confused(as the name of my godmother and my godfathers first initial are listed right after my first name\given names being 'Shani')

Thanks in advance! I hope someone with experience that filled in the form already could help me out,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The ETA launch has been deferred to the fall of 2016. You don't need one starting tomorrow.

LoveAndWar

Mar 14, 2016
Thank you so much, I just found out and read about it. So it'll be no problem when booking a flight etc untill fall 2016? I always get stressed filling in important things like that so if I definitely don't need to do it for now still, then that is such a relief!

I just want to be absolutely sure that it's perfectly fine for when I will be booking my next ticket really soon,But I understand that it shouldn't create any issues to travel without an eTA untill fall 2016? Hence why I wanted to make sure I'd understand how to fill in the application for when it will be required to have it to enter Canada.

dannypm

Apr 1, 2015
Have a read through of the below document. It may be helpful in terms of how to enter name

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/eta/english.pdf

Thanks

LoveAndWar

Mar 14, 2016
Thank you so much, that really did help.

I just wonder what to put as 'signature' still because on my passport it's just my last name.(the one you use to sign in real life)

LoveAndWar

Mar 14, 2016
I hope someone could still help me regarding what to enter in the 'signature' part? I called Aircanada to check if it'd be fine to travel without the eTA even next month for example and they told me to double check with the government of Canada or well the website where you apply for the eTA.

I hope someone could still help me out on this onem I wouldn't want to make a mistake not getting it and being denied or messing up by filling the signature part wrong.

Thanks!

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
You don't need an ETA until the end of the year, August I believe it is when ETA's will be required. If your arriving by plane in Canada before then, then you don't need one providing that you have all the relevant documentation that you need.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Chris-jay said:
You don't need an ETA until the end of the year, August I believe it is when ETA's will be required. If your arriving by plane in Canada before then, then you don't need one providing that you have all the relevant documentation that you need.
1. Note that the airline employees might not have got the message that there is grace period and might refuse boarding.