+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Established Work History in Canada - Renounced PR

MrUkki

Jul 16, 2024
Hello,

I'm seeking advice on behalf on my father (60M). He first landed in Canada in the mid 1980's for his first job, he dropped out of university in the US in order to do this. Married my mother, a Canadian citizen and left Canada in 1996 to move to Hong Kong with my mother, where he later earned permanent residency. We later returned to Canada in 2005, my father was a spousal sponsored PR. However after my mother's untimely death in 2008, my father decided to take me (Canadian Citizen, then a minor) to Hong Kong for better child care support. In order to travel to Canada for work, he renounced his PR in 2016, when the eTA system was introduced. We now know that this was not the best course of action, but given the urgent need to travel at the time and relative stability in Hong Kong, he felt that renouncing PR was the best choice at the time.

Due to political unrest in Hong Kong, my father has left the city in 2019 to seek work internationally and I have taken residency in Canada (since I turned 21). My father works in a field of high global mobility, however given his increasing age and lack of Bachelor's Degree, he has struggled to find meaningful employment. He also faces difficulty in finding work in the country of his citizenship, as he has no established work history there, having left as a teenager. He has no pension in his birth country as he has never worked there. He was lucky to find work in Canada in 2022 due to his long work history in the country, he is currently here on a temporary work permit and has one more year on the permit. Unfortunately he has just been dismissed without cause from his place of employment, and while there are many interested employers in Canada, all have rejected him due to their inexperience with hiring foreign temporary workers, and the positions typically need to be filled very quickly (unable/unwilling to wait for work permit processing time).

His ability to find work will be greatly increased if he has an open work permit. We have looked in to ways for him to secure one, but all seem to require PR. He has created an express entry profile for the Canadian Work Experience Class but his CRS score is extremely low. I was unemployed during COVID and have also just lost my job, so do not have the financial means to sponsor him at this time. As he was only a permanent resident of Hong Kong and not a Chinese citizen, he is unable to apply for PR under the Hong Kong pathways. We have consulted an immigration consultancy to explore the possibility of a PR application under H&C given his ties to Canada, but we have been advised that he would not be able to work or leave the country while it is being processed. My father is reluctant to apply under this method as he will like to maintain his autonomy to travel and seek work overseas (despite the very low chance of being employed).

I am worried for my father's future, he is unable to find work outside of Canada and is getting older. While being able to find employment and work is the most immediate concern, as his quality of life decreases while he's unemployed. I worry about his future care if he is unable to stay with me in Canada long term. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I'm seeking advice on behalf on my father (60M). He first landed in Canada in the mid 1980's for his first job, he dropped out of university in the US in order to do this. Married my mother, a Canadian citizen and left Canada in 1996 to move to Hong Kong with my mother, where he later earned permanent residency. We later returned to Canada in 2005, my father was a spousal sponsored PR. However after my mother's untimely death in 2008, my father decided to take me (Canadian Citizen, then a minor) to Hong Kong for better child care support. In order to travel to Canada for work, he renounced his PR in 2016, when the eTA system was introduced. We now know that this was not the best course of action, but given the urgent need to travel at the time and relative stability in Hong Kong, he felt that renouncing PR was the best choice at the time.

Due to political unrest in Hong Kong, my father has left the city in 2019 to seek work internationally and I have taken residency in Canada (since I turned 21). My father works in a field of high global mobility, however given his increasing age and lack of Bachelor's Degree, he has struggled to find meaningful employment. He also faces difficulty in finding work in the country of his citizenship, as he has no established work history there, having left as a teenager. He has no pension in his birth country as he has never worked there. He was lucky to find work in Canada in 2022 due to his long work history in the country, he is currently here on a temporary work permit and has one more year on the permit. Unfortunately he has just been dismissed without cause from his place of employment, and while there are many interested employers in Canada, all have rejected him due to their inexperience with hiring foreign temporary workers, and the positions typically need to be filled very quickly (unable/unwilling to wait for work permit processing time).

His ability to find work will be greatly increased if he has an open work permit. We have looked in to ways for him to secure one, but all seem to require PR. He has created an express entry profile for the Canadian Work Experience Class but his CRS score is extremely low. I was unemployed during COVID and have also just lost my job, so do not have the financial means to sponsor him at this time. As he was only a permanent resident of Hong Kong and not a Chinese citizen, he is unable to apply for PR under the Hong Kong pathways. We have consulted an immigration consultancy to explore the possibility of a PR application under H&C given his ties to Canada, but we have been advised that he would not be able to work or leave the country while it is being processed. My father is reluctant to apply under this method as he will like to maintain his autonomy to travel and seek work overseas (despite the very low chance of being employed).

I am worried for my father's future, he is unable to find work outside of Canada and is getting older. While being able to find employment and work is the most immediate concern, as his quality of life decreases while he's unemployed. I worry about his future care if he is unable to stay with me in Canada long term. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Don’t see a good case for H&C either. He is relatively young, renounced PR, has not spent a long period of time in Canada, not in a financial position to support himself longterm and neither are you to support him, etc. If you apply and he gets denied it could make it very difficult for him to visit you in Canada because he has already attempted to stay in Canada permanently. Getting PR in your 60s was going to be next to impossible unless you are sponsored by your child through PGP which you don’t qualify for. Assume you researched this in advance before he came to work in Canada. He was quite lucky to get a WP. He will likely need to leave Canada and when you are more established and meet PGP requirements you can attempt to sponsor him. He should have a plan B if that is not possible. Parent sponsorship is far from guaranteed.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thank you.
He doesn't qualify for an open work permit. He needs to secure a job offer with an employer willing to go through the LMIA process so that he can apply for a new closed work permit.

H&C is not an option if he wants to be able to travel.

Realistically, he will likely need to depend on you to sponsor him for PR once you meet the income requirements and can be selected through the PGP sponsorship program. Unfortunately that is years away.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
He has no pension in his birth country as he has never worked there.
Agree that waiting for you to be working and making enough income to support him would be the path. It also depends on his luck.

There is no real pension in Canada as well even after he becomes PR of Canada again. How many years did he work in Canada? If he never or worked only a short period of time, there is not much he can get from the government.
Also he needs to live in Canada (I believe as a worker or PR, not as visitor) for more than 10 years before he can get OAS. And that's not the income someone can live on realistically.

Reactions: canuck78