+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry to Canada is Allowed

chands20

Dec 5, 2016
hi,

I am currently in Canada and I have a Canadian Visa and work permit till April 2017. I will be going out of Canada for 2 weeks from the last week of January 2017 and will be back by 2nd week of Feb 2017. Here my query is will there be any issue during my entry in Canada in the 2nd week of Feb 2017 as I will only have 2 months of Visa left i.e. till April 2017 ? Will I be allowed to enter Canada at the port of entry ?

IvoryX

Dec 1, 2016
I am assuming the visa you referred to is a visitor visa? If so, it doesn't serve anything else other than "an admission ticket" allowing your entry in Canada.

You are fine to get back in Canada before the expiry of your work permit (April/17) However, one thing to always keep in mind is each time you show up at the port of entry (POE), you may be subjected to questions in relation to your current status and compliance with conditions on your status documents. Officers at POE have the duty to to check on them.

Hope this helps.
Ivory

cindyamoah

Aug 29, 2011
Hello Ivory please help with this case

I have a changed my PGWP (expires July 2017) to a Closed work Permit( Expires June 2018)

So I applied to renew my old work Visa (expires July 2017) so it matches my new permit. This application was submitted on September 9 online from within Canada and still no update

Can I leave Canada now and re-enter in February with my old visa (expires July 2017)?

Why is this application taking so long. Been 3 months already

IvoryX

Dec 1, 2016
Cindymoah. To verify the fact first:

You have now a new work permit valid till June/18.
You have applied in Sep/16 for the renewal of your visitor visa (you said "work visa" - there is no such thing as work visa. It is either a work permit or visitor visa.), a decision has yet to be made.

If my understanding of your situation is correct. You may want to wait to get your visa before you leave.

Your valid work permit gives you legal status in Canada.
Your visitor visa allows you to enter Canada. It is like an admission ticket. If you don't have a valid visitor visa, you can't get back in.

Ivory

cindyamoah

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks Ivory

The visa that is currently in my passport expires July 2017. Is it still valid although the renewal that I sent is still in progress? Can I re enter with it regardless of the outcome of the renewal application?

IvoryX

Dec 1, 2016
Yes the current one is valid till the decision on the renewal is made.
At the time of your return, if no decision has been made on the renewal, your old is valid.
At the time of your return, if a decision is made on the renewal, with the approval, the new visa normally will override the old one. You need to have it with you for entry.