+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada from US with Expired PR Card

connor2hd

Jun 9, 2016
Hello,

I'm a little confused on the rules regarding PR Cards and re entering Canada. I plan on leaving for the United States via car for a week in the end of July. I am a PR with an expired PR card and from what I hear I will not get a new card by the end of July. I am a UK passport holder and citizen. I am also leaving the country with 2 Canadian Citizens if that makes a difference.

I heard you can get a Travel document on the same day. Does anyone have any experience with that? What are my options?

Thank you,
Connor M

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Since you're driving, no PR card or PR Travel Doc is necessary as CBSA doesn't need them to confirm your PR status. Upon returning by car, just show your passport, COPR and expired PR card to CBSA.

I assume you meet the residency obligation, since if you don't that poses other problems for you.

And traveling with Canadian citizens is irrelevant.

connor2hd

Jun 9, 2016
Okay thanks. I searched the forums here and saw a lot of the same answer. I just wanted to make sure that info was still accurate as I don't want to be stuck in America lol.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Can I just hijack ... do you actually need to travel (by road) with the CoPR if you have an expired PR card (or no PR card due to it being "in the mail")?

I assume once you get a PR card you can leave the CoPR safe at home...

PRTD is the document I imagine you mean, it takes more than a day. Weeks often from what I've heard. Only needed if you are returning my commercial carrier (an airplane into an public in most cases, private jets would be excluded as you only (may) need the doc to get onto a plane, depending upon how closely the carrier/airport follows the rules)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jc94 said:
Can I just hijack ... do you actually need to travel (by road) with the CoPR if you have an expired PR card (or no PR card due to it being "in the mail")?
Technically all you really need is a passport. Even without COPR or expired PR card, CBSA can still determine your PR status though it may take more time.

Having the extra documents may allow the first officer you encounter to be satisfied and wave you on. Less documents you have, the more chance there is you will be sent to secondary inspection (and hours delay) where CBSA can dig deeper into your info.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jc94 said:
Thanks, appreciate it.
Even without passports are okay if you only have a provincial driver license. However, expect some warnings and lectures from the CBSA officer.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Even without passports are okay if you only have a provincial driver license.
I highly doubt you can gain entry into the US without a passport, even if you are Canadian!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619/~/visiting-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-canadian-citizens-%2F-residents-%2F

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Actually you can if it's an enhanced driving license which are designed for that purpose, I believe.
But no, a general driving license is no good since 2001. Neither is a birth cert. for kids.

Yes, you can get back INTO Canada without anything. As you are guaranteed entry as a PR or a Citizen. So assuming you someone got out of the country without anything you should have or maybe it got stolen or worse you can always get back. My question which I phrased poorly, was more related to the best way to avoid issues as I am 100% it's a painful process if you turn up without any proof of identity! What I should have asked was, will CBSA ask for my CoPR if I've got a UK passport and no PR card, to which the answer seems to be "they may or may not, but it's better to have it until you get a PR card that essentially subverts it".

And by worse, a friend of a friend went on a cruise down south and the boat sank. So he lost everything.
When he finally got home on a temporary passport issued by his embassy (so 14-16h on a plane and a taxi ride that he somehow paid for) he realized this included his house keys. Now that's a bad day.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buletruck said:
I highly doubt you can gain entry into the US without a passport, even if you are Canadian!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619/~/visiting-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-canadian-citizens-%2F-residents-%2F
Did I say you can gain entry into the US?

Some borders allow you to turn around and return to the Canadian side before you meet the CBP!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buletruck said:
The OP is planning to go to the US....He'll need a passport (or an enhanced drivers license).
Yes, but I did not replied to the OP (I replied to the hijacker :D). See above!

He asked a question about returning to Canada.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yes completely my fault :-[

But to the ops original question, all you need is a passport BUT if you also have expired PR card and CoPR it may help avoid questions and make it a smoother process :)