+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Englishman wants to marry Canadian.. please help.

Nov 16, 2009
Hi.. I have a girlfriend in Edmonton and I want to join her in Canada and get married.

To be honest I have no idea what to do.

I have a full British passport and no criminal record at all. I have a permanent income of 600 ponds sterling from a Royal Mail early retirement pension. I am 47 years old and will be looking to work when I get there.

What i really need to know is will I need a visa and how long will it last.

What will I have to do to stay in Canada if we marry.

What are the major obstacles.

Please.. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hat not knowing and can't wait to join her.

Thankyou.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
What i really need to know is will I need a visa and how long will it last.
As a holder of a British Passport, you will not require a VISA to visit Canada for the initial 6months. You will however need to apply for VISA extensions should you want to stay beyond the initial 6months period.

What will I have to do to stay in Canada if we marry
Should you marry a Canadian citizen or PR of Canada, you can use marriage as the reason to apply for VISA extension. Unless you are inadmissible due to health and criminality, there is little chance to be refused for VISA extension under marriage.

What are the major obstacles
That really depend on your specific case. Presumably you would want to become a PR or Citizen of Canada so you no longer need to apply for VISA extensions. If your future wife is eligible, she can sponsor you through the family class. You may also apply through the economic class should you qualify for it.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, British citizens do not need visas, so he does not need to apply for a visa extension. He will need to apply for an extension of his stay, though.

By the way, a VISA (in capitals) is a credit card. ;)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Karlshammar said:
No, British citizens do not need visas, so he does not need to apply for a visa extension. He will need to apply for an extension of his stay, though.

By the way, a VISA (in capitals) is a credit card. ;)
=))

Hi K..,
I have a full British passport and no criminal record at all. I have a permanent income of 600 ponds sterling from a Royal Mail early retirement pension. I am 47 years old and will be looking to work when I get there.
You can't start working till you get a work permit or till you get first stage sponsorship approval (in-land processing).