+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment and work experience criteria under CEC

maxmax

May 5, 2010
Hi everybody

I am on a open work permit now. I completed 2 year hotel management diploma and currently I am working as a food service supervisor(NOC B 6212) in a restaurant. The restaurant is family run and isn't a big restaurant, and there are few employees. So will my work experience as a food service supervisor in this restaurant be granted for Canadian Experience class? Does the food service supervisor post in a restaurant comes under NOC B 6212? Is it necessary that to be acceptable of my food service supervisory post and experience under CEC, the restaurant should be a big one and there should be more employees since supervisor means handling people/employees.

I would request you please advice and suggest me in this regard. Any help is highly appreciated

Thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If your position is genuine and you can document it, it does not matter the size of the business.

maxmax

May 5, 2010
Thanks jes_ON for your reply.I am little bit worried, because as I have told that the restaurant is small and there are few employees, since job description of restaurant supervisor is to handle restaurant staffs. And in this restaurant staffs are very few.

Did anybody applied or planning to apply under CEC as a restaurant food service supervisor(NOC B 6212)?

Can anybody advice, share their experience in this regard?

ce

Jan 17, 2011
maxmax said:
Thanks jes_ON for your reply.I am little bit worried, because as I have told that the restaurant is small and there are few employees, since job description of restaurant supervisor is to handle restaurant staffs. And in this restaurant staffs are very few.

Did anybody applied or planning to apply under CEC as a restaurant food service supervisor(NOC B 6212)?

Can anybody advice, share their experience in this regard?
I have the same concern as you did. Have you applied under CEC as a food service supervisor? How's everything going?

ce

Jan 17, 2011
jes_ON said:
If your position is genuine and you can document it, it does not matter the size of the business.
Jes_On, Can you explain what kind of documents are needed to support my position is genuine?

I used to work at a family-owned small size restaurant when I was studying at university. The business is booming now. Due to his wife's health issue and his plan to open another store in one or two years, the boss is in need to hire someone he trusts and knows to oversee the operation of current store and get trained in-and-out to be as a future store manager. Since the boss is working as a manager there, I would be more likely as a restaurant supervisor. He gave me this offer this afternoon. Since many immigration consultants I talked to told me better find a NOC(OAB) job in a company rather than restaurant, I am afraid that I will be one of the victims and not be granted or postponed to be granted a PR status by CIC. The boss said he would provide any required documents. However, what kind of documents should I use to prove the genuineness of my job? Hope you can help.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ce said:
Jes_On, Can you explain what kind of documents are needed to support my position is genuine?

I used to work at a family-owned small size restaurant when I was studying at university. The business is booming now. Due to his wife's health issue and his plan to open another store in one or two years, the boss is in need to hire someone he trusts and knows to oversee the operation of current store and get trained in-and-out to be as a future store manager. Since the boss is working as a manager there, I would be more likely as a restaurant supervisor. He gave me this offer this afternoon. Since many immigration consultants I talked to told me better find a NOC(OAB) job in a company rather than restaurant, I am afraid that I will be one of the victims and not be granted or postponed to be granted a PR status by CIC. The boss said he would provide any required documents. However, what kind of documents should I use to prove the genuineness of my job? Hope you can help.
Why would consultants tell you that a skill level 0, A or B job in a "company" is better than in a restaurant??? That makes NO sense and is NOT true!

Your job duties, skill requirements and salary should reflect (as much as possible) the NOC code for the same position. If you are doing the actual job of supervisor and your manager attests to that and you are paid appropriately and you work the required number of hours per the CEC requirements, CIC will have NO problem with that!

ce

Jan 17, 2011
rjessome said:
Why would consultants tell you that a skill level 0, A or B job in a "company" is better than in a restaurant??? That makes NO sense and is NOT true!

Your job duties, skill requirements and salary should reflect (as much as possible) the NOC code for the same position. If you are doing the actual job of supervisor and your manager attests to that and you are paid appropriately and you work the required number of hours per the CEC requirements, CIC will have NO problem with that!
Should or can I write a letter along with my applications to explain why the owner's small-size restaurant need a food service supervisor? Although I will be actually working as a Supervisor there, do CIC officers believe or not a restaurant which has only four part-time employees need a Supervisor? It is very subjective, isn't it?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ce said:
Should or can I write a letter along with my applications to explain why the owner's small-size restaurant need a food service supervisor? Although I will be actually working as a Supervisor there, do CIC officers believe or not a restaurant which has only four part-time employees need a Supervisor? It is very subjective, isn't it?
You can do as you like but I would doubt a letter from YOU regarding why the store needed a supervisor would have any impact. It would be much better coming from the employer. Yes, it can be subjective. Real life is not black and white.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ce said:

You only need the documents that are listed on the document checklist.

For the job to "count" you will have to have a job title like Assistant Manager (or Manager Trainee), and a salary in line with other restaurant assistant managers... I know, CIC says that it's the job duties, not the title, that counts, but if you're a "food service attendent" with manager responsibilities, the company could get in trouble,
plus it is likely that the experience would be doubted.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=0&val1=0631&val11=restaurant&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0