+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EMPLOYER SPONSORING WORK PERMIT

DaviaZayn

Jun 10, 2022
Hello, I hope someone can help me out with this or have some knowledge surrounding this situation.
I have a fulltime job as an international student at a major organization from my first internship in my first year. I am not about to start my final semester and i also recently got a promotion at work. Now that our hours are cut back to 20 per week, idk what to do…my company does not offer part time and but they would rather not let me go and I also don’t think I can afford to live in Toronto on part time salary due to cost of rent alone . I was wondering if I could possibly still continue to work and my company sponsor my work permit when I graduate this summer instead of me applying for PGWP. Is that even a thing? Has anyone every skipped the pgwp and got employer sponsorship ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I hope someone can help me out with this or have some knowledge surrounding this situation.
I have a fulltime job as an international student at a major organization from my first internship in my first year. I am not about to start my final semester and i also recently got a promotion at work. Now that our hours are cut back to 20 per week, idk what to do…my company does not offer part time and but they would rather not let me go and I also don’t think I can afford to live in Toronto on part time salary due to cost of rent alone . I was wondering if I could possibly still continue to work and my company sponsor my work permit when I graduate this summer instead of me applying for PGWP. Is that even a thing? Has anyone every skipped the pgwp and got employer sponsorship ?
Post doesn’t make sense. You said you are graduating so why not apply for a PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your employer would need to be willing to get an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. Are they willing to go through the LMIA process?

Reactions: YVR123

DaviaZayn

Jun 10, 2022
Post doesn’t make sense. You said you are graduating so why not apply for a PGWP.
Post makes perfect sense you’re just not using your brain. I stated I want to continue working fulltime for my employer, if I do that I might not get my PGWP approved due to the fact that I worked more than 20hrs.

DaviaZayn

Jun 10, 2022
Your employer would need to be willing to get an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. Are they willing to go through the LMIA process?
I will find out next week. I wasn’t sure if it’s an option but now that it is, I’m certain they will do it for me

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I will find out next week. I wasn’t sure if it’s an option but now that it is, I’m certain they will do it for me
They will need to post your job for at least a month to prove no Canadian/PR could be hired. Tell them to read the LMIA requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It depends on the employer. Some employers will do it. Some won't. Generally big employers are less willing to do it. For example, none of the big banks will go through the process.

Good luck and hope they are willing.

Reactions: DaviaZayn