+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Reference Letter Messiness

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Haven't had much luck with this elsewhere.

I'm putting an application together to return to Canada under the International Mobility Program, for a position identical to a position I had received a 1 year permit for a few years ago. So far, so good.

HOWEVER.
For the job experience that is most relevant to this application, I'm finding that the reference letter isn't so cut and dry. It is a very small non-profit (currently just the director plus volunteers), and the record keeping was never very firm.

1) I was originally employed there with a PGWP, part time (20-25 hrs) for 3 years. At the end of that permit, we applied through the IMP and was granted a 1 year permit. At the end of that permit, I left.

2) My supervisor is no longer with the organization, and the new Director has zero knowledge of my work history there.

3) At my original hire, I didn't get a formal offer / contract. Promotions were handled casually, as again, this was a very small and disorganized non-profit in the cultural sector.

4) While my original position would fall under Skill Level 0, the position morphed into duties that fell under Skill Level B. Again, this happened casually, and as I was on a PGWP, and functioning w/o the aid of a lawyer, I didn't grasp how foolish it was of me to not clarify with proper documentation. When we did apply for IMP, we officially changed to the appropriate title / Skill Level. I do have an official job offer letter for this.

5) In the last month of that contract, the organization was audited at random, and found to be in non-compliance with the job offer due to a discrepancy in the actual hours worked vs the hours stipulated; we simply were forced to downsize due to unforeseen financial issues. The organization complied with the audit, and while I don't the detail, I do know that IRCC was satisfied and no fines or further action were taken, and I was allowed to continue to work the remainder of my permit, whereafter my position was not renewed (ROE states that I "Quit", lol.)

I've spoken with the new Director, who is looking through the records of my employment but there really isn't much to substantiate this. I'm still in touch with the former Director, who is willing to submit a letter, although as I understand, I'd have to get that notarized. I do have a ROE issued at the end of my tenure indicating my employment of almost 4 years, as well as T4s, but my ROE is only listing less than 1500 insurable hours, which doesn't seem to suggest I worked there nearly as many hours a week as I did (hours varied greatly according to projects-some weeks could be 20, some could be 40+, I always agreed and was happy to work this, and never felt exploited). Also, I was never offered a fixed salary, and the hourly wage changed when my work duties shifted (but weren't supported yet by a new offer).

Additionally, I have loads of freelance experience for the NOC but because it's all been casual and not even a secondary source of income, I do not have the records to meet self-employment qualifications.

When I applied for this permit before, very little was required for my approval, and no work references / employment records were asked for. I provided a letter of support from my then supervisor-I assume since I was already in Canada and working for the same organization, the officer just breezed through my application.

So my concern in in getting a letter from the new supervisor, is how to clearly support my qualification. There's a distinct job offer to back 1 year of experience, but the hours suggest it doesn't qualify as full time. There's nothing to support the previous 2 years there fulfilling those same duties. Additionally, I'm concerned that if they're unsatisfied with that, they'll look deeper and use the audit against my new application. The organizations / position are nearly identical although this one is actually organized.

Would I be best to bring all this up in a LOE, or should I just let the new Director issue a Reference, with the caveat that she only has the information available to her. And if so, should I include a LOE to allude to anything she might leave out (ex, the salary, etc). Also, should she bring up both positions held, or because there never was a contract to begin with, can we just assume the NOC code I originally was granted the permit for and am applying again with?

Thanks to anyone who has thoughts.