+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Issues During OINP Process: What Are My Risks and Can I Apply for Parental Leave?

MonsieurX

May 31, 2024
I arrived in Canada in 2022 and started working at a company in Toronto with a formal contract and all the legalities that come with it. My salary was supposed to be increased after six months if everything went well. However, when the six months passed, my boss was on vacation and didn't return until nine months later. Upon his return, I asked about the raise, and he said we would discuss it after completing one year.

When the one-year mark arrived, I inquired again, and he told me we would discuss it in January. Meanwhile, he offered to sponsor me for the OINP Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker stream and mentioned that the company would cover the nomination fee. I applied and paid the fee myself, but I never received reimbursement.

The holidays passed, and we were supposed to return to the office, but the return was postponed indefinitely. In February, I received my OINP nomination, and coincidentally, on the same day, my boss informed me that the company was facing financial issues and couldn't continue employing me. He suggested that I continue the process by showing payroll but required me to return the money each month. I agreed since I had already invested nearly $4,000.

Recently, I paid for the Non-EE application portal, and I have been working on other projects for my home country. Additionally, I have been working "for free" for my former boss's personal company, which I expected might happen but couldn't do much about given my investment of time and money.

Today, I was supposed to receive my payroll to make the necessary reimbursement, but it didn't happen. I asked him about it, and his response left me feeling uneasy; I suspect they might stop sending the payroll.

At this point, I realize he might have known about the situation from the start (he is one of the company owners) and saw some benefit for his company. I don't believe he has been honest.

Here are my questions:
  • I understand this situation is illegal and regret that I am in it, but what are the risks I face, considering I have invested over $10,000 in applications and translations?
  • I have a daughter who was born just over three months ago. Since I don't have any documentation stating that I was formally terminated (it was only verbal), can I apply for parental leave?
Before you judge, we are all immigrants, and we know how hard-earned money is and the importance of mental integrity for oneself and, more importantly, for your family. One of my issues was blindly trusting despite the red flags.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or guidance on what I should do.

TL;DR:
I moved to Canada in 2022, got a job with a promise of a raise after six months, but my boss delayed it repeatedly. I applied for the OINP program and paid the fees myself, but my boss didn't reimburse me. Now, after investing over $10,000, my boss suggests I continue the process by showing payroll but returning the money each month. Recently, I didn't receive the payroll, and I suspect they might stop sending it. My questions are: What risks do I face given my investment, and can I apply for parental leave without formal termination documentation? Any advice is appreciated.