+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer applied for Immigration. Can I leave/switch jobs?

ricky703ca

Feb 20, 2011
My brother's company applied for his Immigration under CEC. The lawyer just took the passport copy and applied his Immigration on his behalf. Now if my brother leaves the company or switches to another company, will the lawyer pull back his application and he will have to apply from the beginning or will the application be transferred to my brother so that he can take it from there. He fulfills all the requirements of CEC.

Thank You !!

Regards,
Ricky

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ricky703ca said:
My brother's company applied for his Immigration under CEC. The lawyer just took the passport copy and applied his Immigration on his behalf. Now if my brother leaves the company or switches to another company, will the lawyer pull back his application and he will have to apply from the beginning or will the application be transferred to my brother so that he can take it from there. He fulfills all the requirements of CEC.

Thank You !!

Regards,
Ricky
CEC applications are NOT employer sponsored (like PNP). Even if the employer paid for the application, your brother is still "the client" of the lawyer and the lawyer or company cannot withdraw the application without your brother's consent. As long as he fulfills the requirements of CEC, it won't matter whom he works for. If he changes companies, he just must ensure that he has the appropriate work permit to do so.

However, if the employer paid for the application, they may want the money back from your brother. But that has nothing to do with his immigration application.

ricky703ca

Feb 20, 2011
So, if he leaves the company the lawyer is liable to give him the details of his application? The lawyer hasn't given him his file number still and its been more than 2 months since the Immigration was applied by the lawyer. He has appropriate work permit so that shouldn't be an issue.

ricky703ca

Feb 20, 2011
rjessome said:
CEC applications are NOT employer sponsored (like PNP). Even if the employer paid for the application, your brother is still "the client" of the lawyer and the lawyer or company cannot withdraw the application without your brother's consent. As long as he fulfills the requirements of CEC, it won't matter whom he works for. If he changes companies, he just must ensure that he has the appropriate work permit to do so.

However, if the employer paid for the application, they may want the money back from your brother. But that has nothing to do with his immigration application.
So, if he leaves the company the lawyer is liable to give him the details of his application? The lawyer hasn't given him his file number still and its been more than 2 months since the Immigration was applied by the lawyer. He has appropriate work permit so that shouldn't be an issue.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ricky703ca said:
The lawyer probably doesn't have the file number yet. Buffalo is taking 4 to 5 months to issue file numbers in CEC applications. Your brother needs to ensure that he has a proper retainer letter/service contract from the lawyer. That's for his own protection.