+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency Travel for Canadian born Infant | Visa vs OCI

Dexter007

Jun 11, 2024
Hello Everyone,

My wife is travelling in a week with our infant son who has a an Indian Tourist Visa. I plan to join them soon but we intend to stay for longer than 180 days, which my son cannot on the Visa. My assumption is that he can if he has an OCI card. The question is - if we apply for his OCI now and receive in 6 - 8 weeks, and I travel with it, is it possible for him to stay in India for longer than 6 months even if the OCI card is not shown/checked at the airport? Does he have to be in Canada until he receives the OCI card or does it not matter?

Really appreciate all the assistance!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Everyone,

My wife is travelling in a week with our infant son who has a an Indian Tourist Visa. I plan to join them soon but we intend to stay for longer than 180 days, which my son cannot on the Visa. My assumption is that he can if he has an OCI card. The question is - if we apply for his OCI now and receive in 6 - 8 weeks, and I travel with it, is it possible for him to stay in India for longer than 6 months even if the OCI card is not shown/checked at the airport? Does he have to be in Canada until he receives the OCI card or does it not matter?

Really appreciate all the assistance!
Apply within Canada and once you receive it you can travel with it to India and contact the FRRO to convert or get an exit stamp for the Tourist visa to OCI https://indianfrro.gov.in/eservices/home.jsp