+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE/FSW with 429CRS, study permit plan toward CEC/PNP eligibility: SP application from a 3rd country?

brazac

Oct 18, 2019
Rio de Janeiro
Category........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Warm greetings from Rio. We hope everyone is doing well. Please share your thoughts, if possible.

I opened a new EE profile last February. With 429 CRS points, however, there is hardly any chance of getting an ITA, particularly on the FSW stream (is it dead, by the way?). I have an ongoing application to start a 1-year post-graduate course at a DLI in Winnipeg. We anticipate that this strategy is likely to make us eligible for the CEC and PNP/Manitoba streams. In addition, there is a possibility of taking up a second 8-month+ programme at the same DLI, which would allow me to expect a longer stay, on a PGWP, if need be. A second MA or PhD are not practical solutions, for several reasons.

I sent the DLI application just last week, but I was shocked to learn that the estimated processing time for an online application for a study permit from Brazil is currently at a staggering 22 weeks, and I haven't even got a letter from the DLI yet. This is very concerning for a course that is due to start in late August. I also noticed that in Mexico, which has very relaxed entry policies despite the Pandemic, the same processing time is estimated at a far more reasonable 3 weeks.

My question is simple from here. If we were to fly to Mexico City in early June to apply from there, mentioning our temporary address and providing proper, written explanation, could we expect to get the application processed faster (i.e., on time to reach Canada in early August, at the very most)? I ask because even lawful and bona fide travel (in the standards of either country) could trigger 'misrepresentation' concerns on the part of less informed officers.

I have not discussed this workaround with the DLI admissions office, but they tried to calm us down, mentioning that these processing times change 'surprisingly fast', and that the Pandemic has made the IRCC rather more lenient in cases like this. I quite doubt it. The DLI even acknowledged that processing times have become an issue. In short, I need a better backup plan than whatever refund policies the DLI can offer, before I can commit to matriculation.

Thank you all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Warm greetings from Rio. We hope everyone is doing well. Please share your thoughts, if possible.

I opened a new EE profile last February. With 429 CRS points, however, there is hardly any chance of getting an ITA, particularly on the FSW stream (is it dead, by the way?). I have an ongoing application to start a 1-year post-graduate course at a DLI in Winnipeg. We anticipate that this strategy is likely to make us eligible for the CEC and PNP/Manitoba streams. In addition, there is a possibility of taking up a second 8-month+ programme at the same DLI, which would allow me to expect a longer stay, on a PGWP, if need be. A second MA or PhD are not practical solutions, for several reasons.

I sent the DLI application just last week, but I was shocked to learn that the estimated processing time for an online application for a study permit from Brazil is currently at a staggering 22 weeks, and I haven't even got a letter from the DLI yet. This is very concerning for a course that is due to start in late August. I also noticed that in Mexico, which has very relaxed entry policies despite the Pandemic, the same processing time is estimated at a far more reasonable 3 weeks.

My question is simple from here. If we were to fly to Mexico City in early June to apply from there, mentioning our temporary address and providing proper, written explanation, could we expect to get the application processed faster (i.e., on time to reach Canada in early August, at the very most)? I ask because even lawful and bona fide travel (in the standards of either country) could trigger 'misrepresentation' concerns on the part of less informed officers.

I have not discussed this workaround with the DLI admissions office, but they tried to calm us down, mentioning that these processing times change 'surprisingly fast', and that the Pandemic has made the IRCC rather more lenient in cases like this. I quite doubt it. The DLI even acknowledged that processing times have become an issue. In short, I need a better backup plan than whatever refund policies the DLI can offer, before I can commit to matriculation.

Thank you all.
You won't be able to apply through Mexico as a visitor. You would need to have some sort of temporary status there like a work permit or study permit that allows you to live there.

brazac

Oct 18, 2019
Rio de Janeiro
Category........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Thank you, Scylla. I understand. Since applying through Brazil is our only option so far, we'll have to hope the application is processed on time. As I mentioned, we were told that the IRCC has been more lenient in allowing international students to start their studies while the SP application is pending (provided they agree to cease their studies if the SP is declined). Can you confirm anything to that effect?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, Scylla. I understand. Since applying through Brazil is our only option so far, we'll have to hope the application is processed on time. As I mentioned, we were told that the IRCC has been more lenient in allowing international students to start their studies while the SP application is pending (provided they agree to cease their studies if the SP is declined). Can you confirm anything to that effect?
You can start your studies remotely / from your home country.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You want to be sure you believe you will be approved. There are many people on the forum who started a program without a study permit and where refused the permit by IRCC months later. The issue is if you are declined then you may have lost thousands for studying online and can’t get a refund. You then have to decide whether to complete the program half way through or finish it without credit for Canadian education (CRS points).