+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Hi,

One of the requested documets is either a transcript copy (Temporary workers) or original transcripts officialy sealed by the university or college (graduates). Since I have a one year college certificate in canada but as of today I'm a temporary worker, which of the two options fits me?

The confusion comes because I actually graduated from a 1 year full time college program in 2010, unless there is a specific meaning immigration gives to the word "graduate" ???

Thank you for your time and help!!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The Canadian Experience Class has 2 streams - post graduate and temporary worker - that have different qualifying requirements.

Per the CIC website, you may qualify if you meet one of these two descriptions -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

* a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada

* a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada

So, it depends what stream you intend to apply under. Do you intend to apply with 1 or 2 years of work experience?

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
I intend to apply as a 1 year full time student with 1 year work experience in a skilled occupation (cabinetmaking). So should I send sealed transcripts as a graduate or copies of them as a temporary foreign worker?

Thank you for your time and help

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ok, well, I'm sorry to say, with only 1 year of education and 1 year of skilled work experience, you do not qualify under the CEC program. You will have to work 2 years at a skilled occupation before you will qualify under CEC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp

If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

* a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or
* a one-year Master's program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

You can look into the PNP program for your province...

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
yeah sorry to inform you , you need two years of continued full time education as Jes_on said. But you cans till work it out or continue your employment for two years.

Good Luck!

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
My goodness what a waste, I did that self test from the immigration web site to see if I could apply in CEC. And it gave me as options the Federal skilled worker way or the CEC. This is really confusing, but well, do you know for how long are my english test results valid? At least we prevented a confusing refusal I guess.

Thank you

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Now guys, I have a couple of questions, what am I then, a TFW or a graduate?

My other question is the following, since after graduating from school I got a post graduation work permit and then I renewed it with a regular work permit am I limited to another 2 renewals or 3? what I mean to ask is if the post graduation work permit counts in the 4 year limit immigration puts on foreign workers?

Thank you for your time and help guys ;D

hbic

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
new york
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-jul-2010
AOR Received.
07-dec-2010
File Transfer...
05-apr-2011
Med's Request
20-jul-2011
Med's Done....
03-aug-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-sep-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-sep-2011
LANDED..........
07-oct-2011
Yes you are qualified under federal skilled worker program. since you have a 1 year full time work experience, but make sure your work will fall under skill level O, A and B.

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
hbic said:
Yes you are qualified under federal skilled worker program. since you have a 1 year full time work experience, but make sure your work will fall under skill level O, A and B.
I was hired by this company as a cabinetmaker, I understand is a skilled occupation but it doesn't appear in the list for eligible occupations. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#eligible

Thanks

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
hbic said:
Besides I have an arranged employment offer as a cabinetmaker :-* 7272Cabinetmakers

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
jes_ON said:
Ok, well, I'm sorry to say, with only 1 year of education and 1 year of skilled work experience, you do not qualify under the CEC program. You will have to work 2 years at a skilled occupation before you will qualify under CEC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp

If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

* a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or
* a one-year Master's program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

You can look into the PNP program for your province...

My other question is the following, since after graduating from school I got a post graduation work permit and then I renewed it with a regular work permit am I limited to another 2 renewals or 3? what I mean to ask is if the post graduation work permit counts in the 4 year limit immigration puts on foreign workers?

Thank you for your time and help guys ;D

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Pullox said:

If you were to apply under CEC after working 2 years, you would apply as a TFW.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2011/2011-03-24.asp

"This regulation is not retroactive – The clock starts ticking on April 1, 2011, for all TFWs, regardless of how long they have already been in Canada."

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Pullox said:
I was hired by this company as a cabinetmaker, I understand is a skilled occupation but it doesn't appear in the list for eligible occupations. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#eligible
There are 2 options as well under the FSW program - FSW1 is for the occupations on the list. FSW2 is for those with an arranged employment offer - the occupation does not have to be on the list, only "skilled" (O, A, or B), so you would qualify under FSW2.

D

Daniel_Daniel

do I need to really get the original transcripts from the university when I have all the original marks sheets, original consolidate marks memorandum and original university degree certificate? can I just not get notary done for copy of these originals?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Daniel_Daniel said:
do I need to really get the original transcripts from the university when I have all the original marks sheets, original consolidate marks memorandum and original university degree certificate? can I just not get notary done for copy of these originals?
If you are applying under the skilled worker stream, you only need photocopies - and they do not need to be notarized.

If you are applying under the post-graduate stream, you need official transcripts (in sealed university envelopes).