+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton or Calgary

fswapplicant08082014

Jul 19, 2014
Hi,

I am currently processing my application for FSWP. Please help me decide which city to choose in Alberta. Edmonton or Calgary? Which is better in terms of employment, weather, etc., considering i will be bringing my 3 kids.

Thank you.

jagota_j

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2012
Nomination.....
31-12-2012
IELTS Request
N/A (IELTS wasn't needed)
Med's Request
13-05-13
Med's Done....
3-06-13
Hi,

I was in the same dilemma 2 years back when I was making a decision to move from Ontario to Alberta - whether to move to Edmonton or Calgary.

I ended up moving to Edmonton.

I honestly really enjoy being in Edmonton. Havn't yet been to Calgary, so all my insights herein are based on online feedbacks/reviews comparing the two cities.

Your move to either cities should be based on what's important to you/your priorities, in this instance job, weather, kids.

Employment - based on what I have read online both cities have their fair share of job opportunities in every field but Edmonton realistically has been labelled to be more blue collared than Calgary which is comparatively more white collared (I guess thats due to the many head offices being located there in Calgary).

Weather - Winter is brutal in both cities. Just like a clothing store based in West Edmonton Mall's marketing motto says "there's nothing like bad weather, it's all bad clothing". As long as you have nice warm clothing, I feel you should be ok. I have read that Edmonton does get more cooler than Calgary.

Kids - both cities should have good schools and opportunities. I have experienced Edmontonians to be hospitable and friendly. I have read reviews of the former being more friendier/hospitable than the latter (again just speculations).

Hope this helps a bit.

mapleleaf2014

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
fswapplicant08082014 said:
Hi,

I am currently processing my application for FSWP. Please help me decide which city to choose in Alberta. Edmonton or Calgary? Which is better in terms of employment, weather, etc., considering i will be bringing my 3 kids.

Thank you.
Hi I have heard the same thing about Edmonton as the previous poster, more blue collar, more white collar in Calgary. The head offices in Calgary attract a lot of people, the population is more transient apparently, people coming to make money. There is a lot of money in Calgary, rents are expensive and in certain parts of the city there is a lot of building going on in the residential areas. There is still the feeling of boom here, but there is still the divide of have and have not's.

I am going by 5 months in Calgary, plus having visited Edmonton and also family in Edmonton.

There is a lot going on in Calgary for children. There are lovely play parks and spray parks in the summer and lots and lots of indoor (and outdoor) winter activities. Certain activities can be expensive. It depends on where you live now and what your budget is like. We have moved to Calgary and living on a tight budget to cover high rent and necessity for a decent car for the winter.
Eating out is expensive. Food is expensive. Although I don't know if that is typical for this part of Canada. (Food)

I have heard as well that with the mountains so close to Calgary, there is less community here, with people going out of town for breaks more. But that could be a bit of a generalisation.

The mountains being close is definite plus.

I have heard that Calgary fares slightly better in the winter due to Chinook winds taking the edge of the temperature lows every now and again, although personally I have only experienced the tail end of one winter and it was still snowing in May. (two months ago!)

I think the decision has to be made on where the best job opportunities are for you to support your family. That is hands down the most important and critical thing when moving to a new country.

Good luck.

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....