+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA - University of the People

mamhsh

Mar 2, 2021
I am trying to study online any credential (certificate/diploma/MBA) that is assessed for ECA by WES.

I found this MBA from University of the People but I am really confused if it will be assessed for ECA or not? I hope someone out there has an experience with the matter and can provide a solid answer.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am trying to study online any credential (certificate/diploma/MBA) that is assessed for ECA by WES.

I found this MBA from University of the People but I am really confused if it will be assessed for ECA or not? I hope someone out there has an experience with the matter and can provide a solid answer.

Thanks.
Not recognized by WES.

Reactions: TShuqs

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
Don't mislead people with an answer you don't have any sources for. From where do you say this with this confidence?
I think he is correct because WES clearly states on the official website:

When evaluating higher education credentials from the United States, for example, WES uses regional accreditation bodies to determine institutional recognition status. If a university or program is accredited by one of the United States’ regional accrediting organizations, WES can also evaluate the degree as accredited.
And University of the People is not regionally accredited by any of those mentioned accreditation bodies.

Source: https://www.wes.org/advisor-blog/which-credentials-does-wes-evaluate/

Faryad

Jun 6, 2021
Vienna
I think he is correct because WES clearly states on the official website:

And University of the People is not regionally accredited by any of those mentioned accreditation bodies.

Source: https://www.wes.org/advisor-blog/which-credentials-does-wes-evaluate/
What about this? On this page they explicitly say WES evaluates them:

https://www.uopeople.edu/faq/which-foreign-evaluation-agencies-do-uopeople-accept-transcript-evaluations-from/

And this?

"Soon There Won’t Be a Difference

The US Department of Education recently decided that starting July 1, 2020, colleges and universities will no longer be distinguished by regional and national accreditation because all accrediting agencies are held to the same standards."

Source:
https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/regional-vs-national-accreditation-whats-the-difference/

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
What about this? On this page they explicitly say WES evaluates them:

https://www.uopeople.edu/faq/which-foreign-evaluation-agencies-do-uopeople-accept-transcript-evaluations-from/

And this?

"Soon There Won’t Be a Difference

The US Department of Education recently decided that starting July 1, 2020, colleges and universities will no longer be distinguished by regional and national accreditation because all accrediting agencies are held to the same standards."

Source:
https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/regional-vs-national-accreditation-whats-the-difference/
You should ask WES for the final answer. I only take the official information provided by WES into account since it's WES that will ultimately give you the ECA, not the university. On the other hand, you can feel free to choose to get a degree from the university and later send the degree to WES for evaluation. It's totally up to you.

If I want to study in the US, I still prefer to attend a regionally accredited institution (that what I really did).

Faryad

Jun 6, 2021
Vienna
You should ask WES for the final answer. I only take the official information provided by WES into account since it's WES that will ultimately give you the ECA, not the university. On the other hand, you can feel free to choose to get a degree from the university and later send the degree to WES for evaluation. It's totally up to you.

If I want to study in the US, I still prefer to attend a regionally accredited institution (that what I really did).
They don't give a respond until you pay that money to them. The answer is clear; either a yes or no but they don't.
Anyway thanks for your answers and I wish you best of luck in Canada. I hope you get there trouble-free and as soon as possible.

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
They don't give a respond until you pay that money to them. The answer is clear; either a yes or no but they don't.
Anyway thanks for your answers and I wish you best of luck in Canada. I hope you get there trouble-free and as soon as possible.
Thank you, likewise.

Faryad

Jun 6, 2021
Vienna
Yup. Not recognized. Just got the papers from WES Canada. MBA from UoPeople is counted as a "Master's degree from a non-recognized institution"
So this means no score?!
What does it mean "not recognized". It is a damned master's degree anyway, so why shouldn't it be recognized? This is truly non sense.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So this means no score?!
What does it mean "not recognized". It is a damned master's degree anyway, so why shouldn't it be recognized? This is truly non sense.
Not recognized means no points under any Canadian immigration program.

All Master's degrees and not all schools are not the same worldwide. To get points for a Master's under a Canadian immigration program, the Master's program from outside of Canada has to be equivalent to a Master's program in Canada. This one clearly isn't. It sounds like the school is likely the issue.

afridij

Sep 15, 2022
Yes. Uopeople is not recognized by any IRCC approved evaluation institution including WES as it is not regionally accredited. Received my evaluation from WES mentioning degree from non recognized institution. So no points from IRCC. Don't waste your money and time to get any degree from UoPeople evaluated for IRCC.