+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA For Online Masters Degree (MSc)

TannyK285

Mar 22, 2019
Hello all, I hope somebody here can help me with this question I have. I am a Computer Science & Engineering Graduate from Bangladesh. I will soon be studying for an online MSc degree in Computer Science provided by University of Hertfordshire, UK (link here). The course is 1.5 years, and after completion of the course I shall be looking to apply for Express Entry to Canada.

My question is, will this online MSc be evaluated as a full Master's degree through any ECA (like WES)? Or will there be any restrictions from the ECA considering it is an online degree, hence not counting it as a Master's degree, and therefore lowering my chance of getting a good CRS for EE?

I am really counting on this online MSc so that I can get the necessary score under level of education for EE application. So I really need to know whether it would be evaluated as a full masters degree by ECA

Reactions: Joelle111

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
High probability it will be evaluated as master's . However master's are generally a total of 180 credits. Check the total in this case.

There are quite a few level 7 diploma's available via the online route too.. with 120 credits. Go for them and save time and cost. You can claim points for 2 or more certificates.
All the best

Reactions: TannyK285

TannyK285

Mar 22, 2019
High probability it will be evaluated as master's . However master's are generally a total of 180 credits. Check the total in this case.

There are quite a few level 7 diploma's available via the online route too.. with 120 credits. Go for them and save time and cost. You can claim points for 2 or more certificates.
All the best
Ah yes, I checked. The Master's course is 180 credits, so that's fine. I've also contacted the university, and they said that the online course is taught in exactly the same way as the on-campus course, and even the certificate won't differentiate it (it won't state it as online). However the modules will be listed as online in the transcript. Still, I have confidence that it won't be evaluated as anything other than Masters in the ECA

I never looked into Diplomas before, and never even knew there were level 7 ones, or ones that are computer science related. I'd certainly have to search for them and see if I can find a suitable one in my area of interest. If I can do 2 level 7 diplomas in less than 2 years and cheaper than the online Masters course, then it'd certainly be more worth it points-wise

Also, another thing to note is that I'm also planning to learn French within this time and will be sitting for the TEF Canada exam in 2021 before I apply for EE. I'll definitely be aiming for good scores there and hoping to get extra points under 2nd official language in CRS

Last edited:
Reactions: mona247

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Ah yes, I checked. The Master's course is 180 credits, so that's fine. I've also contacted the university, and they said that the online course is taught in exactly the same way as the on-campus course, and even the certificate won't differentiate it (it won't state it as online). However the modules will be listed as online in the transcript. Still, I have confidence that it won't be evaluated as anything other than Masters in the ECA

I never looked into Diplomas before, and never even knew there were level 7 ones, or ones that are computer science related. I'd certainly have to search for them and see if I can find a suitable one in my area of interest. If I can do 2 level 7 diplomas in less than 2 years and cheaper than the online Masters course, then it'd certainly be more worth it points-wise

Also, another thing to note is that I'm also planning to learn French within this time and will be sitting for the TEF Canada exam in 2021 before I apply for EE. I'll definitely be aiming for good scores there and hoping to get extra points under 2nd official language in CRS
My suggestion would be to not wait until 2021. Please lock the ITA asap.
Level 7 diploma's take about 9 months at the max.

French isnt a cake wake up.. the last time I checked beginners level of French will only yield 4 CRS points.. you gotta be CLB 7 to get 30 CRS points from french language skills.

Reactions: TannyK285

TannyK285

Mar 22, 2019
My suggestion would be to not wait until 2021. Please lock the ITA asap.
Level 7 diploma's take about 9 months at the max.

French isnt a cake wake up.. the last time I checked beginners level of French will only yield 4 CRS points.. you gotta be CLB 7 to get 30 CRS points from french language skills.
Are there any benefits to locking the ITA asap, knowing very well that I'll have to update my profile in 2021 anyways? I mean, I can't necessarily apply at the moment having such low CRS

And unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any Level 7 online diploma that is related to computer science, so I'd have to go for the Masters route

Ah well, 4 points for beginner level French is still better than nothing I'd say, so I'd still take it. It's too bad that CLB 7 in French is almost impossible to get. Even with masters, 3 years foreign work experience, CLB 9 for English and 4 points for French, my CRS would end up as 458

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Are there any benefits to locking the ITA asap, knowing very well that I'll have to update my profile in 2021 anyways? I mean, I can't necessarily apply at the moment having such low CRS

And unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any Level 7 online diploma that is related to computer science, so I'd have to go for the Masters route

Ah well, 4 points for beginner level French is still better than nothing I'd say, so I'd still take it. It's too bad that CLB 7 in French is almost impossible to get. Even with masters, 3 years foreign work experience, CLB 9 for English and 4 points for French, my CRS would end up as 458
I meant to say why wait till 2021? what is your NOC, if your NOC is from IT sector anyways you can create a profile now and try and wait for the OINP NOI.
You can do this course in 6 months and I know one guy on the forum who got canadian ECA for this from WES as one year college certificate.
This will be more than enough for you to claim points for 2 certificates and try to get the ITA by april 2020.
https://athe.co.uk/athe-level-4-diploma-in-computing/

Adityan92

Jun 28, 2019
Bangalore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......

All the best
How do you register for a level 7 diploma? tried looking everywhere, couldn't find it anywhere! do you have a link?

Reactions: mona247

Ilyushin76

Mar 24, 2019
Hello all, I hope somebody here can help me with this question I have. I am a Computer Science & Engineering Graduate from Bangladesh. I will soon be studying for an online MSc degree in Computer Science provided by University of Hertfordshire, UK (link here). The course is 1.5 years, and after completion of the course I shall be looking to apply for Express Entry to Canada.

My question is, will this online MSc be evaluated as a full Master's degree through any ECA (like WES)? Or will there be any restrictions from the ECA considering it is an online degree, hence not counting it as a Master's degree, and therefore lowering my chance of getting a good CRS for EE?

I am really counting on this online MSc so that I can get the necessary score under level of education for EE application. So I really need to know whether it would be evaluated as a full masters degree by ECA
Yes. I have a masters degree via distance learning / online study and it was equated to a canadian masters degree

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
How do you register for a level 7 diploma? tried looking everywhere, couldn't find it anywhere! do you have a link?
What is your field of study, I shall find a link and send it to you

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Yes. I have a masters degree via distance learning / online study and it was equated to a canadian masters degree
Please tell us more details. How many months did you study? What was the name of the course, was it a diploma plus master's top up? Name of the awarding bodies.
Appreciate your assistance.

Joelle111

May 30, 2018

Your plan is similar to mine. I am also planning to do an online Masters this Fall. The MSc will be for 1 year. I enrolled at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland. Their course prices are quite reasonable. If you guys are still looking, check their website https://www.rgu.ac.uk/study/types-of-study/online-learning-courses.