+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for one transcript, but two certificates (credentials) to qualify for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees”, is this possible?

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Hi all,

My degree program’s official title is “Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Physics with a second major in Mathematical Sciences”. I actually did at least 44 more nonoverlapping credit hours to get my “second major in Mathematical Sciences” compared to just a usual “Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Physics”. I did both the Physics Bachelor and Mathematics second major over four years.

I did my ECA with WES and inputted these two in application’s credential:
  1. Bachelor of Science in Physics with Honours (Highest Distinction)
  2. Second Major in Mathematical Sciences

I separated the credential into two with hopes to get (1) evaluated as “Bachelor’s degree (four years)” and (2) as a “University certificate equivalent” so that I can select the “Two or more certificates” options. One of the issues is I only have one transcript for both of the credentials. I have two certificates when I graduate though.

This is WES’ ECA reports:

‘’’
CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY: Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1. Name on Credential: ABCDE
Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Science
Year: 2018
Awarded By: ABCDE
Major: Physics and Mathematical Sciences
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)
‘’’
So, they combined my degree into one Bachelor's degree with two majors which do not take into account the extra 44 credit hours compared to only one Bachelor’s degree that I took to get my second major.

I am considering doing another ECA with IQAS. Will I have a chance to get my second major as a university certificate equivalent if I do ECA again at IQAS? Probably, the only issues that I can think of are:
  1. I only have one transcript instead of two.
  2. There are overlap courses or credit hours required for my Physics bachelor and Mathematics second major. There are at least 44 non-overlap credit hours though which are more than enough for University certificate or even diploma in Canada.

Will it be worth it to try ECA with IQAS (or other possible organizations that are more lenient than WES)? Does anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks, everyone!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

My degree program’s official title is “Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Physics with a second major in Mathematical Sciences”. I actually did at least 44 more nonoverlapping credit hours to get my “second major in Mathematical Sciences” compared to just a usual “Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Physics”. I did both the Physics Bachelor and Mathematics second major over four years.

I did my ECA with WES and inputted these two in application’s credential:
  1. Bachelor of Science in Physics with Honours (Highest Distinction)
  2. Second Major in Mathematical Sciences

I separated the credential into two with hopes to get (1) evaluated as “Bachelor’s degree (four years)” and (2) as a “University certificate equivalent” so that I can select the “Two or more certificates” options. One of the issues is I only have one transcript for both of the credentials. I have two certificates when I graduate though.

This is WES’ ECA reports:

‘’’
CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY: Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1. Name on Credential: ABCDE
Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Year: 2018
Awarded By: ABCDE
Major: Physics and Mathematical Sciences
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)
‘’’
So, they combined my degree into one Bachelor's degree with two majors which do not take into account the extra 44 credit hours compared to only one Bachelor’s degree that I took to get my second major.

I am considering doing another ECA with IQAS. Will I have a chance to get my second major as a university certificate equivalent if I do ECA again at IQAS? Probably, the only issues that I can think of are:
  1. I only have one transcript instead of two.
  2. There are overlap courses or credit hours required for my Physics bachelor and Mathematics second major. There are at least 44 non-overlap credit hours though which are more than enough for University certificate or even diploma in Canada.

Will it be worth it to try ECA with IQAS (or other possible organizations that are more lenient than WES)? Does anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks, everyone!
You can only claim points for having one degree. The second major isn't a separate certificate. It simply means your Bachelor had two majors.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
You can only claim points for having one degree. The second major isn't a separate certificate. It simply means your Bachelor had two majors.
Hi Syclla,

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, it seems that I can only claim points for one degree based on the WES ECA result.

However, I have asked my university and they said that I can say my second major is equivalent to a university certificate.
That's why I am thinking about trying IQAS as people said that IQAS is more lenient in giving Canadian equivalency than WES.
I hope that my second major can be evaluated as a "University certificate or equivalent" by IQAS.
Do you think this is possible given the fact I only have one transcript for both credentials?
Or maybe I should not even try and waste money by going through ECA again through IQAS?

wpalliyaguru

Jan 20, 2022
Hi All,

My Question is also, something similar to the above.
I have four years BSc (Hons) Degree and my degree certificate presented it as "Bachelor of Science with Honours in Quantity Surveying".
But, my ECA report by WES is shown as follows;

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS

Name on Credential: ABCD
Credential authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Country or Territory: ABCD
Year: 2017
Awarded by: ABCD
Major: Quantity Surveying
Canadian equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

I am worrying, About why did they remove the word "Hons" from my Credential Analysis.
Please assist me in clarifying this regard.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

My Question is also, something similar to the above.
I have four years BSc (Hons) Degree and my degree certificate presented it as "Bachelor of Science with Honours in Quantity Surveying".
But, my ECA report by WES is shown as follows;

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS

Name on Credential: ABCD
Credential authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Country or Territory: ABCD
Year: 2017
Awarded by: ABCD
Major: Quantity Surveying
Canadian equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

I am worrying, About why did they remove the word "Hons" from my Credential Analysis.
Please assist me in clarifying this regard.
Why do you want the honours equivalency? Doesn’t give you more points. In Canada a 4 year degree is an honours.

Reactions: wpalliyaguru

wpalliyaguru

Jan 20, 2022
Why do you want the honours equivalency? Doesn’t give you more points. In Canada a 4 year degree is an honours.
Ok, I didn't know that actually. I thought they make the equivalency as an Ordinary degree without honours. Usually, we need to pass the degree with a class in one attempt to have honour. That's why I try to clarify this.

Thank you for your reply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok, I didn't know that actually. I thought they make the equivalency as an Ordinary degree without honours. Usually, we need to pass the degree with a class in one attempt to have honour. That's why I try to clarify this.

Thank you for your reply.
You get points for a degree of 3 or more years. All the best.

Reactions: wpalliyaguru