+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Easy way out???

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me out? With regards to certain jobs within the NOC list, for example, cook or food service supervisor the prerequisite is a minimum of 1 year of paid work experience. In addition to be recognise as those respective jobs one must initially have....

1. Completion of a community college program in food service administration, hotel and restaurant management or related discipline
or
2. Several years of experience in food preparation or service are required

For me... I want to take the easy way out because I'm sensing that there is such a thing in this case so I am asking your valuable opinion on this.

I want to apply as a food service supervisor, however, I have neither completed a community service program nor have several years of experience in food preparation or service.......as of yet. My folks are soon to buy a lunch bar and I will work there as a food service supervisor for 1 year. Instead of obtaining several years of experience in food preparation or service, I am intending on completing a community college program. There are short courses which runs for 1 semester (3-4 months) and there are longer courses which I guess .....run for 2 years. The shorter courses are not as prestige so as to speak. In short.... from zero experience in my entire life.... I will 'jump' into the role of a F.S supervisor for simply 1 year, and simultaneously acquire a 3-4 months course. Do you think the 3-4 months is suffice?? After all the HRSDC did not specifically specify, thus I will need your advice.

Many thanks for your insightful comments,

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
simonvee said:
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me out? With regards to certain jobs within the NOC list, for example, cook or food service supervisor the prerequisite is a minimum of 1 year of paid work experience. In addition to be recognise as those respective jobs one must initially have....

1. Completion of a community college program in food service administration, hotel and restaurant management or related discipline
or
2. Several years of experience in food preparation or service are required

For me... I want to take the easy way out because I'm sensing that there is such a thing in this case so I am asking your valuable opinion on this.

I want to apply as a food service supervisor, however, I have neither completed a community service program nor have several years of experience in food preparation or service.......as of yet. My folks are soon to buy a lunch bar and I will work there as a food service supervisor for 1 year. Instead of obtaining several years of experience in food preparation or service, I am intending on completing a community college program. There are short courses which runs for 1 semester (3-4 months) and there are longer courses which I guess .....run for 2 years. The shorter courses are not as prestige so as to speak. In short.... from zero experience in my entire life.... I will 'jump' into the role of a F.S supervisor for simply 1 year, and simultaneously acquire a 3-4 months course. Do you think the 3-4 months is suffice?? After all the HRSDC did not specifically specify, thus I will need your advice.

Many thanks for your insightful comments,
First questions, do you have legal status to work for your folks in Canada? As in do you have a work permit that allow you to work as a Food Service Supervisor at the location where they would be running this business?

Based on your current credentials it is extremely unlikely that HRSDC will approve a LMO (required for work permit) or AEO. In either case which means you will not qualify as a SW.

The best option maybe to work for your folks' as a server initially. Get some basic experience then they may raise you to the supervisor position, which would allow you to apply for SW under an appropriated NOC title. Education credential is not always necessary when their is ample supporting experience.

Don't try to fly when you can't yet crawl. It is not sensible.

Hope this helps.