+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Earning money outside of Canada while on EI

wherethestorystarts

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
Hi, I am wondering if I need to report earnings that I received from outside of Canada.

Here's my situation: I'm physically in Canada, but I have just opened to get freelance work online from my home country.
I'm out of work right now despite actively looking for jobs in my field.

Will I have to report these future earnings from outside of Canada (It's not US) when I'm reporting for Employment insurance?

Additionally, I will report earnings from this freelance work to my home country, but would I also have to include these earnings when I file taxes in Canada next year?

I just wanted to make sure I'm following all legal requirements and avoid any potential issues.

Wonder if anyone here had a similar experience, thanks.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi, I am wondering if I need to report earnings that I received from outside of Canada.

Here's my situation: I'm physically in Canada, but I have just opened to get freelance work online from my home country.

Will I have to report these future earnings from outside of Canada (It's not US) when I'm reporting for Employment insurance?

Additionally, I will report earnings from this freelance work to my home country, but would I also have to include these earnings when I file taxes in Canada next year?

I just wanted to make sure I'm following all legal requirements and avoid any potential issues.

Yes, all money needs to be reported

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Would add that you are required to report your earnings through consulting to EI.

Last edited: