+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship, what office it goes to? or change to inland?

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi.
So i thought I was lucky since i have both mexican and spanish nationality. I obviously decided to apply for common law through Spain which means the Paris office.
I thought this wasnt a problem since Im citizen because of family members. Ive heard of people applying on their country of residence with a visa and their application was sent to their country of citizenship.

But now it seems, since I have never live in Spain there might be a chance CIC decides to send it to Mexico. Has anyone experience anything like this? Is it common?

Is there any suggestions, anything that I can do to help make the application go to the Paris office? When is this decided or how they let me know? since if it goes to mexico they will need other papers like my mexican birth certificate that im not sending.

Im asking because..with the mexican times...then it might be a good option the inland application instead, is almost the same and now im very confused, im planning to send this application in a few weeks.

jack87

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Doc's Request.
PCs: 29-08-2014
AOR Received.
SA: 01-08-2014 AOR2: 29-08-2014
File Transfer...
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
27-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
09-06-2015
The processing times posted online for the Mexico City visa office are misleading. We applied outland through Mexico City and I got a letter from the Mexico City visa office stating that their current average processing time is 6 months from the date Mississauga receives the application, not the 17 months posted on CIC's website. Check the Mexico thread - there have been a few people lately who have had processing times of 5 or 6 months.

I don't think there's anything you can do to make the application go to the Paris office. It is entirely up to CIC. They'll let you know where they send it after a decision is made on determining the eligibility of your sponsor - they'll send him/her a letter saying where they will forward the application.

Were you born in Mexico? If you weren't then I don't think you need a Mexican birth certificate - as long as you have *a* birth certificate to prove who you are. I don't have dual citizenship though so I could be wrong.

Good luck with your application!

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks!! thats really good to know!!
So..does anyone knows what happens when you have double citizenship?
Should i still ask for the Paris office which seems a better option even if i was born and lived all my life in Mexico? I have spanish citizenship from granparents, thats my only link to Spain.
Is there instructions from CIC to ask for an specific country in this case? whats is the best thing to do for my application?
Hope someone can help.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Thats not going to fly . You were born in Mexico and have lived there, i am pretty sure they are not going to except the Paris office. You can certainly try but i would guess they will send you to the Mexico office. I have citizenship of Trinidad but never lived there and was not born there.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
amhel26 said:
Thanks!! thats really good to know!!
So..does anyone knows what happens when you have double citizenship?
Should i still ask for the Paris office which seems a better option even if i was born and lived all my life in Mexico? I have spanish citizenship from granparents, thats my only link to Spain.
Is there instructions from CIC to ask for an specific country in this case? whats is the best thing to do for my application?
Hope someone can help.
You can only request, not expect. CIC will send it where they feel appropriate.

You need to understand why they may prefer to send the application to an office in a country where you have stronger ties. The local office processing your application will need to go through your documentation, background history and request security/background checks in the countries your lived in. If ALL your history is in Mexico, which office do you think will have an easier time going through your application? An office in Mexico which is familiar with how things work in Mexico, very familiar with the format of official government documents from Mexico, and has experience working with the Mexican government to get information on your history/background? Or an office in elsewhere, like in Spain?

This is why CIC wants to send your application to a place familiar with where you have the most ties. Say there is a Pakistani couple (sponsor is Canadian PR) of which the sponsored spouse also has a South African citizenship (via descent but lived her whole life in Pakistan) and they get married in Pakistan, which office do you think will be best qualified to see if their wedding properly followed the traditional customs (Nikah, Rukhsati, etc)? A case officer working in the South African office or a case officer working in the Islamabad (Pakistan) office? CIC will want to make sure the office best equipped to understand your application gets it.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks. It does make sense, specially for my criminal records since they will have to be requested from Mexico.

So it sounds like with my ties to mexico CIC will choose this office, however...is it still worth it for me to put Paris office on the application???
Or should I just put Mexico?

Main difference will be...for me that i dont have a official translated mexican certificate, i have the spanish one which i was planning to send. So i will need to find this document.

Also the checklist changes a little bit..so do i send checklist for Paris or for Mexico?

What would you do in my situation? Is it worth it to try paris just because apparently has better times and results? Is theres no consequences if CIC decides to change it to Mexico?
Or is there any benefit to use Mexico as my choice?

Would love to hear what you guys would do..thank you so much!!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
If you decide to chose Paris and CIC decides it should be Mexico you are just going to be further behind. They will then request the documents that they haven't received for Mexico checklist and may give you 60 days to send them . They won't look at your file again till after the 60 days have passed . If by then some of the forms have changed they then will send you another notice of providing those forms , which then they may give you another 60 days. Then at the end of this you are 4 months behind. I would strongly recommend you stick with the Mexico office . You may hold dual citizen ship but you were born in Mexico and you still live there.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi.
Thanks everyone for your help. Im sorry, im still very confused, i know i even posted related questions too..is just that i keep getting different opinions from everyone.
so far some say ask for Paris office and see what happens, you have nothing to loose.
and now it seems..if i do that my application might take even longer.

I really dont know what to do. can i get more suggestions? what would you guys do in my situation. the point is to get a faster application not to make things even more complicated..what do i do???
Thanks

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
amhel26 said:
so far some say ask for Paris office and see what happens, you have nothing to loose.
and now it seems..if i do that my application might take even longer.

You can put down Paris but CIC may decide to send it to Mexico anyway. There is no delay there.

The delay is if you assume Paris will be your VO and the follow the region specific checklist for Western Europe but your application then gets sent to Mexico. Since you didn't follow the Latin America checklist, that may cause a delay because you followed a different checklist (even if the differences are minimal)

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi.
I am sorry maybe im missing something but i am super confused.
Ok so what checklist do i follow? Obviously i was planning to follow Paris office checklist since I was going to request for that office.

So now...I request for PAris but i follow Mexico checklist?? To avoid the delays you mentioned?

Like i said i dont have my mexican birth certificate officially translated, i will need this if i follow the mexico checklist, so should i follow mexico checklist and request PAris? or i follow both checklist?? or what do i do??

Please help!!!!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Technically you should be following the Mexico checklist.

Part 3: Information guides

Sponsored relatives must follow specific instructions depending on where they live. To find their region, use the list below.

You live in Mexico. So you should use the checklist that covers Mexico (Latin America)

You really should just request Mexico. The Mexico visa office will be most familiar with the checklist for Latin America. Requesting Paris but sending in the checklist for Latin America will just cause confusion. Confusion is where potential delays can happen. Most likely CIC will just send it to Mexico anyway when they see where you have lived all your life.

As you can see, what you are trying to do can get confusing. This is where things can get delayed because: confusion = delays.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi Keesio,
Thanks a lot for your help. i get exactly what you mean and that is why i dont want to be confused, i dont want to delay my application.
I read in instructions that you can apply for any country you have residency, citizenship, etc. Apparently even if you live in some countries you apply for the one of your citizenship, so apparently not always is the country you LIVE like it says on the instructions you quoted.

I could never find an explanation or instructions from CIC anywhere of what country to choose if you have more that one option. Maybe someone has seen specific instructions?

Only answer i had was from this forum saying normally CIC will send it to the country where you have more ties to.

That makes sense to me, however some members have also suggest, you can ask for Paris due to your Spanish citizenship so go for that one and see what happens.

Others have say, if you do that then the delay will happen since they will request the checklist for Mexico if they decide to send it to this country.

So...I hear what you say, get your mexican birth certificate (which is not that easy, will make me move my timeline for one month to get this paper done, but again is better than the 3 months you mention cic will take to ask for this checklist papers), follow Mexico checklist and request Mexico city office.

Can anyone else give their opinion? Would anyone do something different in my situation? I just want to make sure that is the way I should do it, and forget about the Paris office which...of course seems a better option but only if its an option available.

Is this what you would do?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
amhel26 said:
Is this what you would do?
Personally I would stick with Mexico from the start. But I don't know how CIC works. It is all just an educated guess from me. Maybe there are others on this forum that have done what you are looking to do. They would be the best to answer.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thank for your answer. any suggestions on how i should get more comments about this? i dont want to keep reposting same question but i would really like to know what other members have to say and no one else is on this thread anymore.
Thanks again, you are helpin so much!