+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dual citizenship, have to pay taxes in both countries???

nymorales03

Jun 17, 2011
Hello everyone,
I have a question about when you get canadian citizenship, if one year you are leaving at your other country because you now have dual citizenship,,,do you still have to pay taxes in both countries, or only where you work? or how would that work?? seems like a lot of trouble checking back with both countries every year...so I am a bit confused,,,please let me know how this works. thank you, J.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
nymorales03 said:
Hello everyone,
I have a question about when you get canadian citizenship, if one year you are leaving at your other country because you now have dual citizenship,,,do you still have to pay taxes in both countries, or only where you work? or how would that work?? seems like a lot of trouble checking back with both countries every year...so I am a bit confused,,,please let me know how this works. thank you, J.
It depends if the country where you going to work has "double-taxation" agreement with Canada.
What usually happens is in case you work more than 183 days per calendar year in any country you will have to fill in the taxes there. Back in Canada, when you fill in the Canadian taxes (you have to fill regardless no income or non-resident) you put the amount of tax paid in foreign country as credit and if there is a balance you pay it to canada. If the amount you paid in the other country is more than total tax required, that is lost money; no one will refund you.