+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dual citizenship and specific checklist

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi.

I have 2 citizenships, i have never lived in Spain but im a citizen from family members, so obviously im picking this country for my common law application since it has the best times and results on applications.

At any point do I have to explain why im choosing this office or decided to apply through this citizenship?

Also, in my checklist they ask for an extra document IM5562 - Your travels.
Instructions are
List all trips you, and if applicable, your family members have taken outside your country of origin or of residence in the last ten years (or since your 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago). Include all trips: tourism, business, training, etc.

First asks about main applicant, then says your spouse or common law partner and then children.
On common law partner, he is my sponsor...does this applies to him too? does it has to be filled if hes not part of the application but he is sponsoring me? Hope someone can help me understand this!.
Thanks!

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
Regarding form IMM5562, you do not need to fill in this form. Only applicants who use the Paris visa office need to complete this form.

Choose whichever citizenship you have the most evidence for (I mean if you have a birth certificate for x country and not for y country, use x as it will save you time).

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for your answer. The spanish citizenship application goes through Paris office, so thats the form they are asking me to fill.
Do you know if i have to include the trips from my common law partner who is canadian and my sponsor for this application?
Thanks again!

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
Oh sorry, I should have spotted that!

There is no harm in including your sponsor's travel. It is not a required document but there is no harm in providing this information.

You could include it as a supporting document.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Note that CIC has the final say in which visa office will process your application. If they feel you have stronger ties to another country (sounds likely since you said you have never lived in Spain), they will keep that in consideration.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi Keesio, thanks for your answer.
I am confused...i thought if i have different citizenships i can use the one i want the application to go to, like im sending my spanish birth certificate and my spanish passport. Also a copy of my mexican one but is all for Spain and the Paris office.
So I havent read anywhere about this, can they actually change the office my application goes to???
How will they do this?

Like if its going for Mexico then i rather do it inland since i dont even have a tourist visa from mexico to be in canada.
Im just very confused, hope you can help me with what you know.
Thanks!!!!!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
You can request a specific visa office but CIC can always decide to send it somewhere else. If you have a Mexican citizenship and spent most of your life living in Mexico, then it is likely that they will send to the visa office that handles Mexican applicants.

Some more discussion here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t232463.0.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
amhel26 said:
Hi Keesio, thanks for your answer.
I am confused...i thought if i have different citizenships i can use the one i want the application to go to, like im sending my spanish birth certificate and my spanish passport. Also a copy of my mexican one but is all for Spain and the Paris office.
So I havent read anywhere about this, can they actually change the office my application goes to???
How will they do this?

Like if its going for Mexico then i rather do it inland since i dont even have a tourist visa from mexico to be in canada.
Im just very confused, hope you can help me with what you know.
Thanks!!!!!
From the guide: IMM0008 - Question 4 - Immigration Office REQUESTED for the processing of your application

You may request a particular office but as keesio stated above, CIC has the final decision on where to send your application. We've seen several applications on here go to a different visa office than the one selected. The usual situation is that an applicant requests the VO in their country of residency but CIC sends it to the VO in the country of nationality.

In your case, since you will be requesting processing in a country where you have never even lived and have pretty much no ties, it is quite possible that they will send it to the other country instead.

Not quite understanding what you mean about having a tourist visa from Mexico. Having your app sent to Mexico won't change the fact that you can still enter Canada visa-free on your Spanish passport.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks. It does make sense, specially for my criminal records since they will have to be requested from Mexico.

So it sounds like with my ties to mexico CIC will choose this office, however...is it still worth it for me to put Paris office on the application???
Or should I just put Mexico?

Main difference will be...for me that i dont have a official translated mexican certificate, i have the spanish one which i was planning to send. So i will need to find this document.

Also the checklist changes a little bit..so do i send checklist for Paris or for Mexico?

What would you do in my situation? Is it worth it to try paris just because apparently has better times and results? Is theres no consequences if CIC decides to change it to Mexico?
Or is there any benefit to use Mexico as my choice?

Would love to hear what you guys would do..thank you so much!!

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi.
Thanks everyone for your help. Im sorry, im still very confused, i know i even posted related questions too..is just that i keep getting different opinions from everyone.
so far some say ask for Paris office and see what happens, you have nothing to loose.
and now it seems..if i do that my application might take even longer.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/dual-citizenship-what-office-it-goes-to-or-change-to-inland-t245609.0.html

I really dont know what to do. can i get more suggestions? what would you guys do in my situation. the point is to get a faster application not to make things even more complicated..what do i do???
Thanks

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,

I need help with IMM 5562.
They say list all trips taken outside country or origin or residence.

I am a Pakitan National and I had been living in Canada for the last 4 years as a student then worker. Now how do I fill this?

Like Canada is my country of residence so if I go visit my origin country pakistan, then I mention that? and my stay in Canada, should I mention that as my travel from country of origin?

This is confusing :(

Please help

Thanks