+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizen (US/Canadian) moving to Canada for the first time.

majestic58

Feb 28, 2010
My boyfriend's mother is Canadian and under her he's applying for dual citizenship. My question is, he's interested in moving up here with me once that is done, and I was wondering what that process is... How long it might take to get his dual citizenship and whether it would be difficult for him to move here... any help or insight would be thoroughly appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he were a child, his mother would be able to apply for his citizenship certificate (takes a year or so to get) but would be able to get him a temporary passport immediately. Since he is an adult, I am not sure if the same applies but he should definitely ask at the embassy when he applies for his citizenship certificate if there is anything he can get faster to temporarily prove his citizenship so he can move to and work in Canada.

lasbagman

Nov 28, 2009
Your boyfriend is a Canadian citizen . He just needs to apply for proof of citizenship. Bill C37 has restored his citizenship to first generation born outside of Canada. There are forms to fill out, he will need to send certified copy of his birth certificate and his Mother's birth certificate as well as having 2 forms of ID notorozied. Check out Citizen Immigration Canada website on newcitzenship rules. The process can take 9 months to a year. Once he receives his Cerificate of Citizenship card, he then can apply for Passport and Sin.