+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License need help asap thanks

tiger9

Jul 27, 2012
Hi All

I wonder if u cud help on letting me know first is it :
1- easier to get a driving license from Toronto or Calgary ?
2- if i ma settling in Alberta can i get a driving license first from toronto then swap it with one from alberta ?
3- finally how can i go about getting my driving license asap either from alberta or ontario ? bearing in mind that i have an international license and a saudi driving license and i have been driving for more than 15 yrs now .

appreciating your help and many thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Toronto, they are a bit more strict about requiring you to have a drivers abstract in English to verify your driving history. If you can prove more than 2 years of driving, you can take the written test and advanced road test and get a full license right away. If you are unable to prove driving history at all, they will not let you take the road test but only the written test and give you a learners license which means you can only drive with a fully licensed person in the car with you.

In Alberta, if you can prove 2 years of driving, just because your license is two years old for example, you can also take the written test and advanced road test and get a full license. If you are unable to prove 2 years of driving, you can take the basic road test and get a probationary license which allows you to drive alone.

The licenses are exchangable from province to province but keep in mind that if you go to Ontario and end up getting no further than a learners license, Alberta may not allow you to exchange your foreign license again because you are already in the Canadian system and so they might have you serve time on a learners license too if you already have one from Ontario.

khalid h

Jan 21, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad.....UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 July 09
Doc's Request.
11 Sep 09
Nomination.....
05 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
20th Jan 2010
IELTS Request
7 sent with docs
File Transfer...
30th June 2010
Med's Request
1st May 2012
Med's Done....
21st May 2012
Interview........
No please
Passport Req..
PPR1-18th July, PPR2- 17th August
VISA ISSUED...
5th Sept 2012
LANDED..........
17th October 2012 inshAllah
Leon said:
In Toronto, they are a bit more strict about requiring you to have a drivers abstract in English to verify your driving history. If you can prove more than 2 years of driving, you can take the written test and advanced road test and get a full license right away. If you are unable to prove driving history at all, they will not let you take the road test but only the written test and give you a learners license which means you can only drive with a fully licensed person in the car with you.

In Alberta, if you can prove 2 years of driving, just because your license is two years old for example, you can also take the written test and advanced road test and get a full license. If you are unable to prove 2 years of driving, you can take the basic road test and get a probationary license which allows you to drive alone.

The licenses are exchangable from province to province but keep in mind that if you go to Ontario and end up getting no further than a learners license, Alberta may not allow you to exchange your foreign license again because you are already in the Canadian system and so they might have you serve time on a learners license too if you already have one from Ontario.
Please provide a sample of what should be written in the letter to prove that we are driving for 2 years

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario requirements here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/exchange.shtml

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
In Alberta..

You first need to write a written exam (on computer, multiple choice 30 questions) to get your Graduated Learners' Licence. (Class 7)

Normally, you have to wait 2 years before going for your driving test, but you can bypass this:

You can apply to be exempt from the time frame by submitting your Saudi license and/or international license if you have one, for investigation (you won't get it back). This takes 7 business days. They rarely reject your license unless it's a fake license. (As long as you have minimum 2 years driving experience in Saudi) - think it might have to be in English, or else you have get it translated??

Once they are done the investigation, and they approve your driving history, you can take your driving road test. Once you pass, you get your Class 5 full drivers license.

(If they don't accept your driving history, I thnk you have to wait one full year on your Graduated Learners' Licence before you can take your road test...not sure on that though)

You DO need though, to prove residency in Alberta, so you have to show a utility bill or lease agreement, or something like that before you take the tests. So get that stuff done ASAP.

Lots of info on this site:
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm

Not sure about Ontario, but I hear it is harder in Ontario, or maybe it takes longer...

SEAN_PATRICK

Feb 16, 2012
Is anybody there who knows how to obtain the date of issue details of my Saudi drivers license. I already pass the written exam the problem is the registry of Alberta won't accept my Saudi drivers license because there is no date of issue on the license card.please help I'm desperate right now to obtain one.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might want to try sending a PM to newcomer about how he obtain the AB license with a saudi license.

SEAN_PATRICK

Feb 16, 2012
Hi everyone. I already got my Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers license. I just used my Saudi drivers license.
1. I translated my Saudi drivers license to english translation.
2. Notarized.
3. Brought it to a company who legalized and authenticate the documents.
4. Submitted to Alberta Registry.
5. Took the drivers computer exam and passed it.
6. Got my GDL license and scheduled for Class 5 drivers license.
7. Passed the advance class 5 drivers license. and got my card after 2 weeks.

Goodluck and Godbless everyone. :D 8) :)