+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Domestic Abuse Rehabilitation Application

atbr1234

Jun 20, 2024
Hi There,

I am from Scotland and looking at travelling to Canada in the hope of moving for work purposes.

I was convicted in Feb 2015 with Domestic Abuse Aggravator (Assault) due to losing my temper with my partner. I was given a fine which was paid off.

Since then, I have went through counselling, studied for a degree and have worked in different school and community sectors and got married in 2020 (to a different person and now have 2 kids) - my track record since this conviction and prior the incident is spotless.

What would you suggest be the best course of actions as I may be travelling to Canada in the next couple of months

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi There,

I am from Scotland and looking at travelling to Canada in the hope of moving for work purposes.

I was convicted in Feb 2015 with Domestic Abuse Aggravator (Assault) due to losing my temper with my partner. I was given a fine which was paid off.

Since then, I have went through counselling, studied for a degree and have worked in different school and community sectors and got married in 2020 (to a different person and now have 2 kids) - my track record since this conviction and prior the incident is spotless.

What would you suggest be the best course of actions as I may be travelling to Canada in the next couple of months
Research Canadian admissibility rules to determine if you are inadmissible or deemed rehabilitated. If you are inadmissible, you will need to apply for rehabilitation before you will be able to come to Canada. If you are deemed rehabilitated, then you will want to apply for an eTA as soon as possible and make sure you declare your conviction in that application. Expect processing of the eTA to potentially take a few months.

Reactions: atbr1234

atbr1234

Jun 20, 2024
Research Canadian admissibility rules to determine if you are inadmissible or deemed rehabilitated. If you are inadmissible, you will need to apply for rehabilitation before you will be able to come to Canada. If you are deemed rehabilitated, then you will want to apply for an eTA as soon as possible and make sure you declare your conviction in that application. Expect processing of the eTA to potentially take a few months.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. At the moment, I am not deemed rehabilitated and won't be until possibly next Summer. However, I am over 9 years since the conviction and would have to apply for Rehabilitation.

The question I have is, what would I need to provide in order to give me the best possible opportunity to be approved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. At the moment, I am not deemed rehabilitated and won't be until possibly next Summer. However, I am over 9 years since the conviction and would have to apply for Rehabilitation.

The question I have is, what would I need to provide in order to give me the best possible opportunity to be approved?
Do you mean for a rehabilitation application? I'm not a lawyer and don't know. You may be best off getting legal advice. Note that rehab application typically take a number of months to process, even over a year. So your plans to come here in a couple of months may or may not be feasible.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Hi,

Canada posts their immigration manuals online, and these are the guides that their officers use when assessing applications of every variety.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-rehabilitation-inadmissible-persons-criminal-activity.html

Google your way along to a better understanding, but it's about assuming responsibility and demonstrating an altered, positive and lawful approach from the incident moving forward that convinces the decision-maker that the person's entry into Canada is a well-reasoned decision.

It takes forever because these have just about the least priority in an inventory where the pressure to produce decisions leaves these to linger.