+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does your NOC have to be in the list of 29 qualifying occupations for FSW?

sharadov

Aug 14, 2010
Hello - I work as a Database Administrator, and have 6 years of experience in the field.
I have a Bachelors and Masters degree in Computer Engineering.

I noticed that the NOC for Database Administrator is 2172.
This is what the eligibility criteria for the skilled worker category says
"If you are applying under one of the 29 eligible occupations, as of June 26, 2010,
a maximum of 20,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications will be considered for processing
in the following 12 months".

My occupation does not directly fall under the 29 eligible occupations.
Although part my duties and tasks do fall under -1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management( this is one of the 29 eligible occupations).
What NOC should I be filing my application under ?

Please chime in. Appreciate all the help in advance.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
you must have one year of experience in one of those jobs in the list to apply as FSW1.
To apply as FSW2, you must have a job offer from Canada and then you don't need to have experience from one of those jobs in the list.

Whether you fit 1122 or not depends on the duties that you did. I'd rather not comment on this part. Good luck.

sharadov

Aug 14, 2010
Hi Maaties - Thanks for the response! Let me ask you another question - what do you think they are looking for?
Are they detail oriented to check what duties you have performed ?
Because if they are looking for that, then I definitely fit the requirements for the NOC-1122.
But if they are the dumb bureaucratic types and just looking for a title which says "Manager" then i do not.

Another question - not related to the topic.
Do you need to take the IELTS - English proficiency test, although you have had English as your medium of English, since you were 3 years old?
Can a 10 year old TOEFL score still qualify ? Is there a way around demonstrating proficiency without having to take the test?

I appreciate your help once again!

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
sharadov said:
Hi Maaties - Thanks for the response! Let me ask you another question - what do you think they are looking for?
Are they detail oriented to check what duties you have performed ?
Because if they are looking for that, then I definitely fit the requirements for the NOC-1122.
But if they are the dumb bureaucratic types and just looking for a title which says "Manager" then i do not.

This is my thoughts so take it with a pinch of salt. Well they are looking to see if you have done what they want as your main duties. So for example, my title is not a lecturer but they accepted me as a lecturer because my job duties match closely if not exclusively with those of a lecturer. Having said that, many people will be applying under 1122 because they do some 1122 duties as part of their job. I personally think they will look to see if you do those duties as the major part of your job. I hope for most people's sake that I am wrong. Anyway, the reason why I say that is because the duties for 1122 are quite general and many people can claim 1122 duties just as many people can claim (for example) they are instructors in a firm. I am sure sometime in everyone's work life, they had instructed work to some one and taught them something. But having taught someone some work doesn't make that person equivalent to someone who teaches technical stuff in a company as their main job.

Another question - not related to the topic.
Do you need to take the IELTS - English proficiency test, although you have had English as your medium of English, since you were 3 years old?
Can a 10 year old TOEFL score still qualify ? Is there a way around demonstrating proficiency without having to take the test?

I appreciate your help once again!

Unfortunately not any longer. Even those from UK, US, NZ, South Africa, Australia, Jamaica, etc now have to take IELTS.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I also suggest that if you feel strongly that you fit 1122, you should apply but be prepared also the chance of being rejected (i am not saying you will be rejected for sure). When I applied, I was sure they will not okay it because my title is a teaching assistant, and just like database administrator, there is a noc for teaching assistants. But I showed them (without lying) that my duties and responsibilities match those of a lecturer than a teaching assistant.

mrbaig

Star Member
Aug 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sharadov said:
Hello - I work as a Database Administrator, and have 6 years of experience in the field.
I have a Bachelors and Masters degree in Computer Engineering.

I noticed that the NOC for Database Administrator is 2172.
This is what the eligibility criteria for the skilled worker category says
"If you are applying under one of the 29 eligible occupations, as of June 26, 2010,
a maximum of 20,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications will be considered for processing
in the following 12 months".

My occupation does not directly fall under the 29 eligible occupations.
Although part my duties and tasks do fall under -1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management( this is one of the 29 eligible occupations).
What NOC should I be filing my application under ?

Please chime in. Appreciate all the help in advance.
Dear, I think your are confused to determine your NOC code between two options. I let u know how to choose one.
First of all you check,from HRSDC website, detail of duties and employment requirements of both NOC codes. Then assess of which NOC code duties u do more than 50 percent- that is your NOC code.

Check this:

Tips on Coding-official guidelines about NOC coding:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/HelpTips.aspx

Second option to determine NOC Code:

This site is also very helpful:

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/content_pieces-eng.do?cid=1&lang=eng
Write your title(you guess yourself) in the space give, it will give u relevant titles with NOC Codes and Skill Level/Type, whether 0,A or B. It gives u detail of duties too, so u can match with yours.
Other benefits besides NOC code:
Once u select the code which suites u. Then u'll be directed to the options to select the Province where to settle, then city and then u'll get all regarding ure occupation, be it;

1) Outlook & Prospects for this occupation
2) Is this a priority occupation. http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/content_pieces-eng.do? cid=941&lang=eng

3) Job opportunities
4) Wages

and much more

Hope it helps

flower098

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
can anyone please help with the job responsibilities of 1122. I am aware of the NOC description but finding it tough to word it myself as it cannot be the exact copy paste job. I am working as Manager Client Services...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
NOC 1122 has reached its cap and CIC is no longer accepting applications under this NOC for FSW1.

If you would like to apply under this NOC, you either need a job offer in Canada. Or you can wait until July when the caps are reset and hope this NOC is still on the list of eligible occupations.