+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does unpaid medical debt in the US impact express entry

Sri1210811115

Sep 15, 2021
Hi,
I lived in the US on student visa for a few years and right before I moved back to my home country I had to visit an urgent care and my insurance didn't cover it (approx $10k). As I couldn't pay it they sent the bills to collections. I see in my credit report that this info is updated

Now I am in the express entry pool. Should I be worried if this comes up during background check and potentially reject my application??

Can anyone with similar experience/knowledge please comment

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Hi, Although the US and Canada share the data for the background checks, an unpaid credit will not affect your Express Entry application's decision ( as far as your unpaid medical bill concerns). Because an unpaid debt is not a criminal conviction under the Canadian legal system. Nonetheless, I think your US credit score will impact the Canadian one as they share information with one other. Therefore, getting any sort of loan in Canada will be a hurdle for some time (kindly check with others as well).

Finally, you should have the POF available while submitting your EE application and try to maintain it till you get a decision on your application. (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html).

Hope this helps and good luck with your application.