+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does TRV expire with new passport?

cec_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Hi,

So, my passport is valid till june 2015 and my work permit and TRV are valid till april, 2015, I am thinking of renewing the pass port rather than waiting till June, does any one here know for sure if I can still use the visa (on old passport, which will be cancelled once new is issued)to enter Canada ? or will I have o apply for TRV again ?

has anyone else been in the same situation?

Octanu

Oct 27, 2014
cec_hopeful said:
Hi,

So, my passport is valid till june 2015 and my work permit and TRV are valid till april, 2015, I am thinking of renewing the pass port rather than waiting till June, does any one here know for sure if I can still use the visa (on old passport, which will be cancelled once new is issued)to enter Canada ? or will I have o apply for TRV again ?

Normally if the passport expires it does not mean that the visa has expired also. The visa stays valid.

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
cec_hopeful said:
Hi,

When Passport is expired that doesn't mean the credentials on it are False and need to be changed . The only reason of change is that it has expired it , the new passport will have the same passport # . Having said that even when you will be travelling with TRV you need to just have the old passport with New one , That's all.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Gurindar said:
When Passport is expired that doesn't mean the credentials on it are False and need to be changed . The only reason of change is that it has expired it , the new passport will have the same passport # . Having said that even when you will be travelling with TRV you need to just have the old passport with New one , That's all.
Not necessarily, the new passport does not have the same numbers as the old passport on it! But yeah you are right, visa + old pass + new pass will work 100% of the time.

cec_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
@above all, thank you very much for responding, the only concern was that i am renewing 8 months before the expiry, I hav a few travel plans and dont want to be stopped at the airport :p

rajapr17

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
cec_hopeful said:
@ above all, thank you very much for responding, the only concern was that i am renewing 8 months before the expiry, I hav a few travel plans and dont want to be stopped at the airport :p
Hi cec_hopeful,
Its not to disappoint you, but this is the information that I am aware that, the TRV validity goes by the Passport expiry date and I heard that Canada TRVs granted till the expiry date of passport.
I suggest to you check with CIC call center and they should be able to confirm you.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
rajapr17 said:
Hi cec_hopeful,
Its not to disappoint you, but this is the information that I am aware that, the TRV validity goes by the Passport expiry date and I heard that Canada TRVs granted till the expiry date of passport.
I suggest to you check with CIC call center and they should be able to confirm you.
While what you said is true, what cec_hopeful is saying is that:
- He will renew his passport now
- Let's assume he gets his new passport this Jan 2015
- The old passport will have the TRV sticker that it is still valid (April 2015)

What the other posts is telling him is:
- He can use that visa since it is still valid (he will have to present both passports at the port of entry)
- If he chooses to renew a TRV, it will be for a max of x years or until the validity of the new passport.

cec_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
MenicMonday said:
While what you said is true, what cec_hopeful is saying is that:
- He will renew his passport now
- Let's assume he gets his new passport this Jan 2015
- The old passport will have the TRV sticker that it is still valid (April 2015)

What the other posts is telling him is:
- He can use that visa since it is still valid (he will have to present both passports at the port of entry)
- If he chooses to renew a TRV, it will be for a max of x years or until the validity of the new passport.
Exactly - I will have a new passport say in Jan , but my old passport will have a valid TRV, CIC helpline takes forever , not sure is there is any other dept that I can ask.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre-IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid’ for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

Reactions: tinzzz

cec_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
MenicMonday said:
13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre-IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

Thats very helpful, thanks a lot. I will start preparing for renewal.
If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.