+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the sponsor need to have a job???

Irisadz

Sep 7, 2009
Hi there....my wife is sponsoring me,currently she is working and we did disclose that to CIC with a letter from her employer.But at the end of November she wants to come down and live with me until i get my visas which would mean her quiting her job.Whould this be fine or could it be a problem in CIC'S eyes and may cause a refusal???

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
WHile you don't need to pass a means test to sponsor a spouse, the forms do ask the sponsor to show how he or she will be able to fulfill the obligation to financially support the immigrant spouse for three years.

So, with no job, your wife might have to show other, sufficient financial resources.

Presumably this question will come up as you land in Canada, but I am not sure of this. SOmeone else?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, that would be fine. She's already been approved as the sponsor, correct? I'm assuming that she is a citizen. If she is a PR she must stay in Canada for the duration of your application.

The forms don't ask you how you will support your spouse. They only ask you to agree to support your spouse. I was a student when I was approved to sponsor my husband and I know others who were students or unemployed when sponsoring as well. You'll be fine.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
ariell said:
No, that would be fine. She's already been approved as the sponsor, correct? I'm assuming that she is a citizen. If she is a PR she must stay in Canada for the duration of your application.

The forms don't ask you how you will support your spouse. They only ask you to agree to support your spouse. I was a student when I was approved to sponsor my husband and I know others who were students or unemployed when sponsoring as well. You'll be fine.
my husband(sponsor) is a student as well i laughed when i got to the part of the form that asked if i received financial support from him. one of the things i'm considering sending with our app is checks and western union receipts from me sending him money
i don't think it's that common for someone to want to immigrate in to support their husband through college though lol

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Irisadz said:
Hi there....my wife is sponsoring me,currently she is working and we did disclose that to CIC with a letter from her employer.But at the end of November she wants to come down and live with me until i get my visas which would mean her quiting her job.Whould this be fine or could it be a problem in CIC'S eyes and may cause a refusal???
As ariell said, long as your wife is a citizen and not a PR, she can move and still sponsor you. However, if CIC learns that she is living with you in your country, they may ask for proof of your intentions to settle in Canada if they grant you PR. Proof could consist of a job offer, apartment lease agreement, letters from family members agreeing to support you, etc.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I have a question along the lines of this thread. On the Sponsored Spouse Questionnaire Form IMM 5490 Question #30 It asks 'Do you receive financial support from your sponsor'? If I'm doing an Outland Sponsorship while living abroad i.e. I'm living with my spouse and applying from his country. My income is supporting our family. Does that mean he is or isn't receiving financial support from me (the sponsor)?
-confused-

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thaihubbie said:
I have a question along the lines of this thread. On the Sponsored Spouse Questionnaire Form IMM 5490 Question #30 It asks 'Do you receive financial support from your sponsor'? If I'm doing an Outland Sponsorship while living abroad i.e. I'm living with my spouse and applying from his country. My income is supporting our family. Does that mean he is or isn't receiving financial support from me (the sponsor)?
-confused-
Not sure but I will give you my take on it. I wouldn't consider living together and pooling your resources to mean you are financially supporting your spouse. I would consider you to be financially supporting your spouse if you were living apart and you sent him/her money OR if you were living together and were the sole income earner. That's just how I see it -- not sure what CIC's take on it is.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I am the sole income earner. We are living together and share 'my' salary. Does that really mean he is receiving financial support from me?
-still unclear-

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it really doesn't matter if you answer yes or no as long as you explain the situation in a separate note attached to the application. Make sure to put the form name and number as well as your name at the top of the page and indicate the question number on any additional sheets that you add.

Afrina

Oct 22, 2009
Hi, I need to ask a silly question, My spouse is a canadian citizen and she is university full time student unemployed. We meet over internet last 4 years ago and we got married in jul09. I completed my MBA from an university in Uk and working at present, I also done police clearence and medical, As a prove I have marriage certificate, pictures, letters. we don't have any child.
Now my wife is about to apply for spousal sponsorship for me but very confused about her financial situation as she is not working-
1. Is that very imp matter for spuse sponsorship?
2.Is she eligible or not?
3. What other documents do i need?

It will be nice anybody will give the ans

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spousal sponsorships are financially exempt so yes, she qualifies as long as she is not in receipt of social assistance or has an undischarged banktruptcy.

You need to read the Guide and the Region Specific Forms to know what other documents you require, if any. ALWAYS read the CIC website first and then, when/if you don't understand what they mean (happens A LOT) come back and ask.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp