+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the sponsor need an income to sponsor their spouse?

Feb 25, 2012
I sponsored my husband a year ago and it seems they are finally on our application since they asked me for more information. When I sponsored him I declared that I was supporting him with funds I received from a lawsuit due to an injury that made me unable to work. They asked for proof of these funds but after a year, they have pretty much run out. Is this going to effect my application in any way? Everything I have researched says that for spousal sponsorship, you don't need an income.

On another topic, I'm seeing that not sending out the right of permanent resident fee can delay an application up to two months. Is that only if you're applying from outside of Canada? I know someone who applied from within and they paid the fee with a cheque during their interview.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You don't need an income, but it helps to have one. The visa officer can refuse the PR visa if he/she believes the couple will not be able to support themselves. So if the sponsor has no job and no money, the visa officer will look to the applicant - if he/she is fairly young, can speak English (or French), has job skills, seems employable, then the VO will assume the person will be able to get a job. But if the applicant seems unemployable, the VO can refuse the visa because of economic issues.
So any evidence you have of savings, investments, your funds from the lawsuit, income, etc. should be shown; ditto for your husband. As well, your husband can explain what job or business he hopes to have in Canada, and provide any proof he has of his qualifications.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You do not have to meet minimum income requirements to be eligible to sponsor a spouse - but that does not mean you're necessarily eligible when you have no income at all. CIC does not want a sponsored family member to have to collect social assistance benefits once they come to Canada - likewise, someone collecting social assistance is not eligible to be a sponsor.

So, since your injuries have rendered you unable to work, are you getting any disability benefits at all? Those would be taken into account as far as being considered income for you and, as canadianwoman mentioned, your sponsored partner's potential for employment is also considered. I agree with her suggestions for overcoming any issues that might come up concerning your lack of employment. They can't "discriminate" against you because you are unable to work - but they will want to be reasonably certain that the two of you are not going to have to live off the government in order to get by.