+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

does salary matter?

ryanruben

Jan 24, 2013
HI everyone
I heard more and more about ppl got refused due to below average salary in their jobs. I also checked workingincanada. The average rate seems ridiculously high. In my case, i am working as secretary and paid at 16.5 per hour. However the average rate according to working in canada for 1241 is about 20.00!! HOLY! I am quite worried now for my future application. Can some share knowledge on this issue? Can i apply with lower than average wage? Thanks

Miranja

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
Sri Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
11-02-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
22-04-2014
ryanruben said:
HI everyone
I heard more and more about ppl got refused due to below average salary in their jobs. I also checked workingincanada. The average rate seems ridiculously high. In my case, i am working as secretary and paid at 16.5 per hour. However the average rate according to working in canada for 1241 is about 20.00!! HOLY! I am quite worried now for my future application. Can some share knowledge on this issue? Can i apply with lower than average wage? Thanks
It is all about your LMO and contract. if contract or LMO (cause when they apply for LMO they must submit the canadian average rates) says that they gonna give you this rate, they must give you that. So as my opinion as long as you are treated according to your LMO you can. but if you have any doubt just call CIC, they always have best answer.

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
I applied earlier this and in my case I was paid half of salary or more from a non-Canadian company and only 1000 from here, so my t4 would only show the 1000 , which would look like my work experience is a fake
So I went to a lawyer and she went over all regulations and finally said salary is not a requirement. There is no minimal salary as long as you get a clear reference letter indicating your duties in details and that u worked as a full time worker.
So finally I applied and my employer wrote all my duties and my average weekly work time and indicated that I am partially paid from the other company according to the agreement I had with them.

Lawyers and consultant sometimes make us believe that our work experience is sufficient so we would apply and they will get paid too... Many criterias for immigration under cec are unclear and kept as a secret, which is not the case for different classes. This can be just because it is new class and when they created it , they thought that it is an easy eligibility class and easy decision could be made. But the truth is work contracts varies a lot and work circumstance can differ much.. So I think in 3-5 years... They will adjust rules as they will by then be exposed to most of the weird contracts and circumstances the market has.

My advice is , if you think your case is not straight forward , check if you could be eligible under any other class.. If you are then apply under that class. But if your only choice is CEC... Then go ahead and give as much detail in your reference letter as possible and also send any other support document you have..

Good luck to us all..

lolita22

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November, 7th, 2012
AOR Received.
January 2nd, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
July 3rd, 2013
Passport Req..
Sept 19th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 17th, 2013
LANDED..........
Nov, 2nd, 2013
Yeah, salary is something that I'm worried about too. Mine is below average because I started out without any experience and also because I work in a research facility. So most of my salary comes from funding rather than a normal job.

All we can do really is pray and hope for the best because low salary is one thing we don't have control over.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The average rate seems ridiculously high. In my case, i am working as secretary and paid at 16.5 per hour.
Look at your duties first and then compare them with 1)- NOC number in 0,A and B parts. Is you "secretary job" there? This is the most imposrtat for CEC. 2) compare duties on workopolis with NOC numbers in 0,A and B parts. Are they similar to each other?

Your $16.5 for a secretarial job at a research firm is quite normal.

OHKIDDA

Star Member
Sep 1, 2012
ryanruben said:
HI everyone
Salary does not matter. Yes, you can apply with your lower wage. The absolute worst a lower than average salary will do is prompt the visa officer to analyze your file more closely. Maybe he'll do a web search for your company to see if it's legitimate. Maybe he will call your employer to verify details. That's all. If you have provided a detailed letter of reference that outlines your duties, you are fine.

suvan

Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF 08-01-14
AOR Received.
13-05-13
IELTS Request
SENT
Med's Request
09-01-14
LANDED..........
2-6-14
ryanruben said:
HI everyone
Hello Friends

This is a question which is asked quite a lot, without going into fare a personal detail my salary for last year was $900 under what was stated on my LMO and obviously job offer letter for the work permit.

When I was compiling all my letters etc for the application this was something I was worried about, so I called CIC and the conversation went a little like this

Into the conversation:

Me: Im compiling all documents for my CEC application and have just noticed I was paid $900 less than stated on my LMO and work permit letter!
Visa Officer: Your Case manager (the officer processing the CEC application) will use the job tool to see what is average and Low etc.
Me: But I thought what is stated on the LMO and work permit letter should be what I got paid!, I'm worried is there any point in me submitting this!?
Visa Officer: ( A complete repeat of the last comment, almost like a robot, very generic and text book like)

You see the officers kinda talk in code, they could of told be straight out " oh you weren't paid as stated on the LMO?, best forget it then"

That wasn't the case!, if you got paid LESS than the LOW figure on the job tool then for sure it's not good!. If you were paid between the LOW and Average. I'd say your fine. Or like myself not much below the average.

Suvan

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
Hi suvan

The law says a paid job without saying if we are paid exactly as canadians or less... I searched much about this... And went to a lawyer, and what i understood is , if the income is too low, the officer might look into more detail and be suspicious about the application as low salary mean you were really doing the same duties as other who does the same job. But , if you supply a strong letter and if you really did that job, don't be afraid as they might only call your employer, and if he supports you , then you are in good shape..

All luck
Maza

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
I would say, in general, that the officer would use the salary as an indication that you truly worked in the job you stated.

For example, if you submitted evidence that you were a pilot, but you were only paid minimum wage (well below the average), then the officer would be extremely suspicious and would likely dig deep to validate your experience. They would have reason to suspect that you were embellishing your duties. This, I assume, is what they use the HRSDC salary ranges for.

It is a bit of a reasonableness test, that could cause an officer to dig deeper or be suspicious if you are far from the job range. The only condition that a salary would lead to automatic rejection is if you worked for below minimum wage.

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
I know an internationally sponsored internal medicine resident(doctor) who just got his pr recently, he applied without T4slips or NOA, but he brought a referrence letter and a letter from his embassay saying he is paid xxx from his home country. :) i never thought his application will pass...

suvan

Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF 08-01-14
AOR Received.
13-05-13
IELTS Request
SENT
Med's Request
09-01-14
LANDED..........
2-6-14
Hello friends

As I mentioned I won't go to far into my personal application, it's obvious if you were paid half of what was stated in your LMO a huge red flag would be raised!

Its common sense that if this was the case the VO would raise the question "is this applicant actually performing this role" and is he actually performing a lesser role which is more like a skill c or d, if answered yes then rejection.

Alot of this is just common sense, we don't have to be VO's to really figure it out.

If an applicant like myself is paid just under what was stated on the LMO I wouldn't lose a night sleep over it, CIC is aware that employers don't take the LMO seriously and slightly underpay all the time.

Suvan

joseluis110380

Star Member
Jun 10, 2012
i have a concern for example.

i had been working in edmonton alberta as carpenter and i was earning 16 dollars an hour, should be ok?

suvan

Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF 08-01-14
AOR Received.
13-05-13
IELTS Request
SENT
Med's Request
09-01-14
LANDED..........
2-6-14
joseluis110380 said:
i have a concern for example.

i had been working in edmonton alberta as carpenter and i was earning 16 dollars an hour, should be ok?
Look on the job tool my friend

Suvan

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Salary is NOT one of the requistie criteria, HOWEVER, it can be a tool to use by the visa officer to assess whether or not the applicant is truly performing the duties stated in the work experience letter. There was a recent federal court decision upholding a refusal by a visa officer where the low salary led the visa officer to suspect that the applicant wasn't truly working in the higher skilled position. Here's a link to the decision.

http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2013/2013fc147/2013fc147.html

However, a question has also been certified to be decided by the Federal Court of Appeal.

Nobody is TRYING to make anyone believe that salary doesn't matter in CEC applications. Up until this decision, IT DID NOT. But read the decision because the judge states what the applicant could have provided to strengthen her application.