+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does remote contractor for US company count for work experience?

Echoo

Aug 3, 2023
Hi. For the past year, I've been working as a contractor for a US company on a post-graduation work permit. The job was software engineer and was remote work which means that I worked from home while residing in Canada for the entire year.

Below are the details
1.Working from home( in Canada) Ontario on Work Permit
2.Company is USA based
3.On the contract, it said I work for the Company(Canada location)
4.Company has hired me as an independent contractor and I work fulltime
5.Do not have T4 and salary slip
6.Have time sheet and update as invoice for salary

I want to know how can I enter the pool of Express Entry since I did not recive the invitation. And will my work experience be counted as Canadian work experience?

Please advise, thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi. For the past year, I've been working as a contractor for a US company on a post-graduation work permit. The job was software engineer and was remote work which means that I worked from home while residing in Canada for the entire year.

Below are the details
1.Working from home( in Canada) Ontario on Work Permit
2.Company is USA based
3.On the contract, it said I work for the Company(Canada location)
4.Company has hired me as an independent contractor and I work fulltime
5.Do not have T4 and salary slip
6.Have time sheet and update as invoice for salary

I want to know how can I enter the pool of Express Entry since I did not recive the invitation. And will my work experience be counted as Canadian work experience?

Please advise, thank you!
You can count it as foreign experience. You cannot be self-employed and must show you are an employee with T4. Does the company have an office in Canada if your contract mentions a Canadian location.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Echoo

Aug 3, 2023
You can count it as foreign experience. You cannot be self-employed and must show you are an employee with T4. Does the company have an office in Canada if your contract mentions a Canadian location.
It is a bit complicated. The company I interviewed and got offer is a USA company. But it was acquired and became a subsidiary corporation of an Australian company. The contract is between me and the Australian company(Canada division). For working, I totally worked with USA company and without information about Canada location. For salary, I uploaded invoice on a website and the finance department of the Australian company deposited to my bank account.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is a bit complicated. The company I interviewed and got offer is a USA company. But it was acquired and became a subsidiary corporation of an Australian company. The contract is between me and the Australian company(Canada division). For working, I totally worked with USA company and without information about Canada location. For salary, I uploaded invoice on a website and the finance department of the Australian company deposited to my bank account.
So you count it as foreign work experience. You are working as a contractor so self employed, and your employer doesn’t remit taxes and you don’t get T4.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Echoo

Aug 3, 2023
I can only be in the pool of EE when cic sends me an invitation. But now I am a contractor and there is no T4, then how does gic know me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can only be in the pool of EE when cic sends me an invitation. But now I am a contractor and there is no T4, then how does gic know me?
What? Have you submitted a profile into the the pool? If you are in the pool and your CRS is high enough you get an invitation. Read through EE requirements.

Echoo

Aug 3, 2023
What? Have you submitted a profile into the the pool? If you are in the pool and your CRS is high enough you get an invitation. Read through EE requirements.
I saw the website said I can only apply when I got their invitation. So I am waiting

Echoo

Aug 3, 2023
So you have an EE profile then with your ECA, IELTS etc.? You can only get an invitation if you have a profile. What is your CRS score?
No I don't have an EE profile. That's how I misunderstand. I thought I can only have EE profile once I got the invitation.