+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does PR Visa affect my current US F-1 Visa

AlexYPH

Sep 25, 2017
Hi,

I will really appreciate it if someone can help clarify this for me.

I'm currently in the US with F-1 Visa. I recently got my PR Visa through Express Entry. I will travel to Canada soon to get the PR card. When I return to the US from that trip, I am technically a permanent resident of Canada, correct? Will this affect the US F-1 Visa that I currently have, since my residency status has changed?

On another issue, if I renew my passport after I get the PR Visa, is the PR Visa still valid for entry for immigration? That is, can I still enter Canada for immigration with my new passport and the PR Visa on my old passport?

Thanks!!!!

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi,

I will really appreciate it if someone can help clarify this for me.

I'm currently in the US with F-1 Visa. I recently got my PR Visa through Express Entry. I will travel to Canada soon to get the PR card. When I return to the US from that trip, I am technically a permanent resident of Canada, correct? Will this affect the US F-1 Visa that I currently have, since my residency status has changed?

On another issue, if I renew my passport after I get the PR Visa, is the PR Visa still valid for entry for immigration? That is, can I still enter Canada for immigration with my new passport and the PR Visa on my old passport?

Thanks!!!!
I don't see why it should. Your citizenship hasn't changed. And your residency status has changed for an entirely different country (Canada not the US). It's not like you wouldn't still need the F-1 visa to be in the US just because you're a Canadian Permanent Resident ... but the best person to whom you should direct this query would probably be an Immigration Lawyer...

Not sure about the PR Visa in an old passport though...when you say PR Visa, do you mean the actual visa (the stamp) that you need to land? Because I'm pretty sure that's why they say your passport has to be at least 6 months old when you get the PPR...because your visa stamp has to be in a current visa, not an expired one...

AlexYPH

Sep 25, 2017
I don't see why it should. Your citizenship hasn't changed. And your residency status has changed for an entirely different country (Canada not the US). It's not like you wouldn't still need the F-1 visa to be in the US just because you're a Canadian Permanent Resident ... but the best person to whom you should direct this query would probably be an Immigration Lawyer...

Not sure about the PR Visa in an old passport though...when you say PR Visa, do you mean the actual visa (the stamp) that you need to land? Because I'm pretty sure that's why they say your passport has to be at least 6 months old when you get the PPR...because your visa stamp has to be in a current visa, not an expired one...
Thank you so much. I consulted an immigration lawyer and he's not very sure about issues with non-immigration Visas, such at F-1.

Yea, I meant the Visa stamp. My passport will not expire for another year. But I'm planing to renew it for other purposes.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Thank you so much. I consulted an immigration lawyer and he's not very sure about issues with non-immigration Visas, such at F-1.

Yea, I meant the Visa stamp. My passport will not expire for another year. But I'm planing to renew it for other purposes.
Hmmm...regarding the renewal of passport, like I said, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't recommend it before you land...if the PR visa is in the old passport, I would recommend landing with that passport before getting a new passport and having that one cancelled...

AlexYPH

Sep 25, 2017
Yea, that's what I am planning now. I will travel to Canada to land asap and then renew my passport. Thanks! :)

May 16, 2017
Your F1 visa and Canadian PR are unrelated, thereby no issues. I had an active US visa on my passport and when my passport got renewed they specified 'xxx visa remains valid' on the last page of my new passport. I am expected to carry my old passport whenever I want to use this visa. Believe it would be the same for you