+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

does my child get the canadian citizen if i got it through my father

ourfali

Oct 15, 2012
hello,
my father lived in Canada and obtained the Canadian citizenship. i was born outside Canada on 31/12/1988 and i have received the Canadian citizenship through my father. now my wife in not Canadian and she will give birth soon. if she gave birth outside Canada, will my child receive the Canadian citizenship through me. i have heard that the new policy on April 17th, 2009 apply only on the people born after the new law that if they were born outside Canada , they wont be able to give the citizen to their children while people born outside Canada before the new law will be able to pass the citizen to their children. please confirm that as soon as possible.

Father-----------------------------------me------------------------------------------------child
obtained citizenship in canada born outside Canada before the new rule born outside canada does he get the citizen
and obtaind citizen through
my father

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your child will not get citizenship through you because your ability to pass citizenship changed with the new law. Before the new law, you could have passed citizenship to your children but they would have had to live in Canada as adults and apply to retain their citizenship in order to keep it. After the new law, you can not pass it.

If you want your child to be a citizen of Canada, it either needs to be born in Canada or you need to sponsor it for permanent residency and later apply for citizenship for it. In order to sponsor, you either have to live in Canada or show plans to move to Canada when your child gets PR.