+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does immigrant's CV has a value?

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Hi all
Although this is a very general question, I try to narrow it as much as I can.
I've heard from many new immigrants that even you have 10 years experience in any fields (10 years means quite a lot )
Still when you enter the Canada you should start from very basic level.
So, in view of this, which one from these two are more important :
  1. Immigrant's experience and his/her CV or His/Her skills and ability demonstration which will be revealed in Interview Session ?
or how many percentage goes to each one ?or combination of those?
because anyone can provide and present any types of work letter experience ,
you can list tons of place as a work experience that you were working.

So, what is the best strategy and approach toward this question ?
Especially while you're from some Asian country that trusting would become hard .

Thanks

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
To be clear more; I meant, the past-CV has a worth to Canadian employers once we skip any kinds of discrimination !

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
  1. Immigrant's experience and his/her CV or His/Her skills and ability demonstration which will be revealed in Interview Session ?
It is both but you need a strong resume. Your resume should be in the North American/Canadian format. You may want to have a ”skills based” resume where the focus is on your skills and not where you worked. In your case, don’t use a chronological resume. You have to highlight your skills and experience to get the interview. Sometimes you need to change your résume and cover letter for each job you are applying to depending on the work experience, references, skills the employer is looking for.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Thanks for your response
Your resume should be in the North American/Canadian format.
what's look like?
You may want to have a ”skills based” resume where the focus is on your skills and not where you worked
please verify am I understood correctly
you mean does not differ you work on a small company or large-enterprise company , your position and skills are more important than when candidate was working ?
You have to highlight your skills and experience
Highlight color you mean ?

and one thing could you please confirm or deny this state please:
when new comer comes from outside of Canada, he/she can present many skills and letter and references and many things that might not be true , more imortant factor could be skills ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your response

what's look like?

please verify am I understood correctly
you mean does not differ you work on a small company or large-enterprise company , your position and skills are more important than when candidate was working ?

Highlight color you mean ?

and one thing could you please confirm or deny this state please:
How do I create a Canadian-style resume in order to find a job? (settlement.org)

Here are some ideas. Highlight doesn't mean colour but focus on/showcase specific skills for the job posted. Your work experience in a small company may have more leverage than a larger company - more responsibilities/independence etc.

Reactions: santi_marlon

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
How do I create a Canadian-style resume in order to find a job? (settlement.org)

Here are some ideas. Highlight doesn't mean colour but focus on/showcase specific skills for the job posted. Your work experience in a small company may have more leverage than a larger company - more responsibilities/independence etc.
and one question more
we can't deny this fact that there are many high potential guy around our-self
suppose, someone has a many different skills in IT firm and for a specific job, just 2-3 of them would be needed
Could list all of them ? will have any negative impact ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
and one question more
we can't deny this fact that there are many high potential guy around our-self
suppose, someone has a many different skills in IT firm and for a specific job, just 2-3 of them would be needed
Could list all of them ? will have any negative impact ?
You can list them if they add to the job you are applying to. Your cover letter is an opportunity to show how your skills/experience are relevant to the job posted and that should consider hiring you. Not sure if I answered your question. Are you in Canada? There are employment centres that can assist with resume writing at no cost.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Below reflects my experience in the general engineering (non-software) fields:

An immigrant's foreign work experience has a value in Canada if they've worked in the offices of well-known global companies, say Tesla. If the immigrant hasn't worked for one of the big names outside Canada but did a very specific job of high value, that also might be recognized. Anything else will most likely result in the immigrant getting the "but do you have Canadian experience?" in the interview. I encourage any such immigrant to get either an MSc or an MEng from a recognized Canadian university. While this may not save you from that infamous question, it will surely improve your odds in the job hunt. And don't just take the degree, but also try to build a Canadian network through your peers and especially your supervisor during your time in the program.

The sad truth is, the STEM job market in Canada is far behind of the US and the EU, so the competition is fierce. You need to stand out. For that, you'd better either have worked for a big name company or built some Canadian network; ideally both. Also needless to say, how you present your work history is very important. Your CV must have no spelling or grammatical errors.

Reactions: santi_marlon

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
An immigrant's foreign work experience has a value in Canada if they've worked in the offices of well-known global companies, say Tesla.
In the most Asian countries, specifically , there are very few well-known companies as you mentioned,
that also might be recognized
might :D
"but do you have Canadian experience
This is one of the most ridiculous sentence I've ever heard
many IT potions in Canada will be following same procedures as they're being followed in many countries
Why it's ridiculous to me ? it looks like that you're asking while you can drive in Malta , you are still can drive in Canada?
or while you can swim in Africa , you can swim in Europe

If in Canada exists employer like you , then I should kill myself

Canadian university
any experienced man in the world know that university does not add you any value, but it's your potential not 32 credits (8 subjects)
Still I am fearing from Canada's employers if thinking like you
but also try to build a Canadian network through your peers and especially your supervisor during your time in the program.
Yes good advice
The sad truth is, the STEM job market in Canada is far behind of the US and the EU,
So, it's true that there is a discrimination there
Your CV must have no spelling or grammatical errors.
Yes, agree