+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does IELTS General Listening contain map labelling question or is it only for Academic Listening?

manish41711

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
I was doing the Cambridge IELTS Book 12 (Academic) Listening exercise, Test number 8 at home. ON reacing question 15-20, I saw questions were on maps : Question was "Label the map below" and the map was of the Sheepmarket. We were supposed to look at a map labelled A-F and we were supposed to choose labels for The Reynolds House, The Thumb etc etc based on their location on the map.

I was completely not prepared for it and just froze. I feel it was very difficult and was wondering maybe the labelling maps type question in the Listening section only come in IELTS Academic Listening and not in IELTS General Listening? I have this doubt because the book is Cambridge IELTS 12 Academic. Can someone clarify please?

Hannan Khan

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
Can tell you from my attempts that it depends. It was there on the Nov 10 test but not on the Jan 5 test. Both were GT.

manish41711

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
If it has come even once then that means it IS in the syllabus in the General Listening :-|
Also, I find it be very difficult mainly because instructions are hard to follow and later answers kind of depend on previous answers.

manuce

Star Member
May 12, 2016
Maps are common in Ielts GENERAL , check out youtube videos specially made to practice maps search ielts maps excerise listening or something.

Reactions: jayken